Penne Alfredo with Chicken & Mushrooms
This simple dish of Penne Alfredo with Chicken and Mushrooms might sound like a lot of work, but in fact, it is the easiest way to prepare a delicious original pasta sauce with a twist.
You guys have to know how much I love ANY pasta right.
This sauce that I created was really a combination of a few ingredients I had in my pantry. Chicken breasts, mushrooms, cream, parmesan cheese and one tin of cream of mushroom soup.
So here is where the Alfredo part comes in. Alfredo pasta sauce is an original pasta sauce that you will find at any Italian restaurant on the menu. It mainly consists of garlic, cream and butter, melted with grated parmesan and added to cooked pasta. However, you can add your own meat to the sauce that makes this versatile recipe a great meal.
I decided to add shredded chicken and mushrooms with my Alfredo sauce and serve it on cooked penne pasta and garnish with fresh dill. Why dill? Because it’s the only fresh herb I had! The result was magnificent.
INGREDIENTS FOR PENNE ALFREDO WITH CHICKEN AND MUSHROOMS:
- 500 gr penne pasta
- 15 ml olive oil
- 4 skinless chicken breast fillets
- 15 ml butter
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 cup of fresh cream
- ½ cup of grated parmesan
- One punnet of brown mushrooms, cut in small pieces
- 10 ml olive oil
- One tin cream of mushroom soup
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Fresh herbs for garnish – I used dill.
METHOD FOR PENNE ALFREDO WITH CHICKEN AND MUSHROOMS:
- First off, cook the penne pasta with the oil until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Then add the chicken breast to a medium saucepan, cover with water, add a pinch of salt and cook until done.
- Remove cooked chicken breasts from pot, and when cooled, shred or cut the chicken in small pieces. Set aside.
- In another saucepan heat the butter on low heat, sauté the garlic, add the cream and parmesan. Mix these ingredients all together until incorporated and cook for another 3 minutes on low heat. Remove from stove.
- Sauté mushrooms in olive oil, until they reduce their moisture and add this to the Alfredo sauce. Add shredded chicken.
- Add the tin of mushroom soup and mix thoroughly. Your sauce should be a lovely thick creamy mess of deliciousness.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Plate the pasta and add generous helpings of Alfredo Chicken and Mushroom sauce on top.
- Garnish with fresh herbs.
This recipe of Penne Alfredo with Chicken and Mushrooms are a great dish to serve for a weekday meal. It is creamy and decadent yet filling and tasteful, and will surely get those tummies full in no time. This recipe serves 4 – 5 adults.
Let me know what you think!