If you are into your G&T’s then this Basil and Blueberry Gin and Tonic is the cocktail for you! Seriously, it really is a great summer cocktail with loads of fresh basil, tones of golden honey and a zap of sweetness from blueberries. I’ll take a double please!
Remember to click the cutlery icon top right to jump to recipe!
I just love the combination of basil and blueberries. The basil in my garden is flourishing and I had to pick the whole bunch, so I decided to photograph them before turning it into pesto. And as it goes on a hot day, I was soon enticed to use some of these beautiful fresh basil in a refreshing gin and tonic cocktail.
What do you need to make a Basil and Blueberry Gin and Tonic Cocktail
For this simple basil and blueberry gin and tonic recipe you simply need your
- gin and tonic,
- fresh or frozen blueberries,
- basil leaves,
- and of course a simple honey syrup or just a plain old simple syrup.
(It’s an easy syrup that consists of equal parts sugar to water, giving your cocktail that sweet element.)
I decided to make a honey simple syrup because it really is fall-off-your-chair easy, AND adds a whole other dimension to the taste of the cocktail.
Simply take half a cup of honey, add another half a cup of warm water and mix together in a shaker or container. You can use this honey syrup or honey liquid over smoothies and desserts or to glaze meats – so many uses!
How To Make a Basil and Blueberry Gin and Tonic
Simply grab some blueberries and tear apart some fresh basil leaves and place them in the bottom of each cocktail glass. Crush the blueberries and basil leaves with a muddler to release the amazing aromas and flavours. Next add crushed ice, a shot of your favourite gin and a shot of honey simple syrup. Finally top it up with your favourite tonic water and add more blueberries and fresh basil.
Bottoms Up! I am so happy with how this refreshing summer drink came out guys. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have! Cheers!
|Prep Time||5 min|
- 4 chilled cocktail glasses
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves washed
- crushed ice
- 120 ml honey simple syrup
- 120 ml gin of choice 30 ml per person
- 2 cans tonic water of choice
- Divide the frozen blueberries and fresh basil leaves into 4 cocktail glasses.
- Add crushed ice to each glass.
- Add 30 ml of honey simple syrup to each glass. (Simply take 1/2 cup of honey with 1/2 cup of warm water and mix - store in the fridge)
- Add a shot (30ml) of gin and top up with tonic of choice. Garnish with more basil leaves and blueberries.