Finally I had some guests over that actually like vegetables. Since hubby doesn’t come near veggies I have been left feeling like a crazy person with symptoms of withdrawal. Seriously.
How on earth does one cook veggies – for only one person. Confusing? Barely. It’s the truth. I hate cooking veggies for only me, half of it goes to waste, and it just doesn’t taste right when it’s not prepared by the buckets full.
As it goes, I decided to make this beautiful warm salad of Butternut, Rocket and Feta with a Balsamic Glaze as a side dish to a lovely Chicken Fricassee – which by the way is unbelievably delicious. Don’t be greedy now – I will soon share that recipe too.
This Butternut salad though is the easiest side dish to prepare and can be served cold too, if you are not keen on wilted rocket. That just means that the rocket leaves become a little droopy and wet. Anyhow, either way is unequivocally pleasant.
It really is as simple as that. It is such a lovely autumn veggie dish and you can enjoy it as it is as a filling lunch. The peppery rocket goes so well with the sweet pumpkin and the creaminess of the feta cheese, combined with the tangy sticky sweetness of balsamic vinegar. Hope you enjoy!
|Prep Time||10 min|
|Cook Time||40 min|
- 1 butternut cut into slices
- 20 ml olive oil
- salt and black pepper to season
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 50 gr rocket leaves
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 wheels danish feta
- handful mixed seeds
- Simply arrange the butternut in an oven pan and drizzle with olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper and roast in the oven until soft.
- Drizzle with honey and roast for another 5 minutes, ensuring a good roast coloring throughout the pieces of butternut.
- In the meantime add the balsamic vinegar to a small saucepan on high heat until it starts to boil, remove from heat and gently stir to ensure it reduces to a sweet glazy, sticky sauce
- Arrange rocket leaves on a platter, add the roasted butternut, add crumbled feta cheese and scatter with seeds.
- Pour balsamic glaze over the salad and serve with any choice of meat dish.
Tried your recipe for guest all enjoyed it making it 2nd time now decided when I got time going to look at some of your other recipese I love unusual, fresh and fuss free recipes intertain alot and always open to new ideas
Thank you very much