I am featuring a brand new product that just hit SA shores recently, on the blog today. The amazing GemWraps™ from New Gem Foods ®️ supplied by Natural & Organic SA. If ever you have been frustrated about cutting down on your carb intake, I mean, living without bread is pretty much mission impossible. However, this revolutionary new product is indeed the answer to your low carb, low calorie, and gluten free dreams…
Wrap your Sandwich in a Carrot… or a Tomato
These Gem Wraps™ are indeed a wrap, made from fruits and vegetables, and other natural ingredients. Hard to believe?
This product is made using patented technology, that is actually made from vegetable pulp or puree. With only the best all-natural, clean, plant-based ingredients – these Gem Wraps™ only have 20 calories per wrap!
What impressed me, even more, is the fact that this product contains no gluten and has no added sugar or any nasty GMO’s. I got to test out the Tomato and Carrot wraps, and I was pleasantly surprised at how tasty they were.
GemWraps™ for Better Health
Let’s get the lowdown on these wraps real quick:
- Healthier than bread or tortillas – yes, these Gem Wraps™ are indeed healthier on every level. The Carrot Wrap only has 20 calories as opposed to 2 slices of white bread (150 calories) and a flour tortilla (145 calories.)
- They are best eaten after they have been freshly rolled – Because of the patent technology used to make these wraps, they are super thin. Once you roll up your favourite ingredients, give it a minute or two to soften up and then it is best to jump straight in as they absorb the moisture in the filling.
- You can reseal the packaging after opening, keeping the wraps fresher for longer. No need to refrigerate.
- 1 wrap = 1 serving of fruit/vegetable.
- Paleo, vegan and low carb friendly.
Fresh Ingredients for your Gem Wraps™
These wraps are so versatile and you can literally add any fresh ingredients you wish, as a filling. I used a mix of Mediterranean ingredients in my recipe – fresh greens, bell peppers, green salad onions, cucumber, olives, tomato, and hummus. Delicious!
Find these Gem Wraps™ at Jacksons Real Food Market in Bryanston and Kyalami.
*Thank you to Natural & Organics SA for sponsoring this post.
|Prep Time||15 min|
- 250 gr sweet peppers red, orange and yellow - finely sliced lengthwise
- 100 gr frilly lettuce or baby herb leaves
- 180 gr hummus
- 80 gr white salad onions finely sliced lengtwise
- 200 gr rosa tomatoes sliced
- 1 medium cucumber halved and sliced
- 80 gr pitted olives sliced
- lemon juice to season
- 2 wraps Tomato Gem Wraps™
- 2 wraps Carrot Gem Wraps™
- 2 teaspoons water for assemble
- First off, get all your ingredients ready and prepared for your wrap filling.
- Remove the Gem Wraps™ from the packaging.
- Peel away the the backing and place the shiny, smooth side facing down.
- Start to fill your wrap from one end. Try to keep the filling 1-2cm thick over the wrap.
- Place a few sliced sweet peppers at one end, followed by the salad leaves.
- Now scoop three teaspoons of hummus on top of the salad leaves. This makes it easier to roll as when the hummus is spread on the wrap to prevent the wrap from tearing as you roll.
- Next layer the onions, tomatoes, cucumber and olives.
- NB: leave a 2 cm gap on the edge of the wrap, to allow the wrap to stick to the end as you finish rolling.
- Start at the sweet pepper side and gently roll your wrap. Brush the other end with water and allow the wrap to sit for 2 minutes to “stick” .
- After you have rolled all your fresh wraps, you can dive right in, or leave it for another 3 minutes to soften and absorb the moisture of the filling.
I discovered your blog after reading about you in Food and Home.
I was excited to read about the Gemwraps. Do you know whether they are available in Cape Town?