Delicious, comforting Beef Bolognese cheesy Subs for lunch? Yes please!
If you have been dreading this morning like I have, I applaud you for having the strength to drop your little ones off at their new school/grade and having survived it. I expected a lot worse. But, I am happy to report that the tears were nowhere to be seen. And back to the kitchen I go without any distractions like “MOMMYY”.
Love your Beef Bolognese Leftovers
And now, like all things, the holidays have finally come to an end.
Time to jump back into the rat race, to the grind and back into routine.
Maybe time to hit the gym? Also time to conquer those dinners with these super easy and simple Beef Bolognese Subs!
In collaboration with Hippo, I’m dubbing this dish a ‘Budget Beating Dinner’. Simply because a magnificent and tasty meal can be made on a budget. Beef mince, brown bread rolls, cheese – if you have these ingredients in your kitchen, you are as good as sorted. Check out more budget beating dinners here.
How To Make the best Subs, with meat sauce and cheese.
If you are like me, there will always be some sort of leftovers after making my favourite and BEST Beef Bolognese recipe.
What to do? Make subs, of course.
These Beef Bolognese and Tomato Salsa Subs are seriously fuss free – if you don’t find yourself with leftover bolognese mince sauce, just cook your version of a quick savoury mince. Beef mince cooks relatively quickly and you can whip out a yummy savoury mince in 30 min. Then, you basically just need some buns, tomato, onion and loads of cheese.
Easy Dinner Subs
I am all for minimal effort when it comes to dinners. These subs are simply mouthwatering and just the thing that your family would want to chow down on after a first day back at school and work. More recipes with bolognese include Baked Eggs in Bolognese, and no kitchen is complete without a proper Beef Bolognese recipe. Here is wishing all the little ones a successful year and loads of fun. Enjoy!
|Prep Time||5 min|
|Cook Time||40 min|
- 15 ml olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 500 gr ground beef mince
- handful fresh thyme leaves
- salt and black pepper to season
- 1 can chopped and peeled tomato
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 1 large ripe tomato finely chopped
- handful fresh parsley finely chopped
- 4 brown roll buns or any bun/baguette of your choice
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- First off, in a large saucepan, heat the olive oil and saute the onion and garlic until translucent.
- Add the mince and brown.
- Add the herbs, seasoning and tin of tomatoes.
- Allow to simmer for 30 - 40 minutes on medium heat, checking in every few minutes not to burn.
- Combine the chopped red onion, tomato and parsley in a small mixing bowl and set aside.
- Cut a hole from the top part of the bun to make a little boat, that will hold the ingredients.
- Scoop spoonfuls of bolognese in the hollowed bread, followed by tomato and red onion salsa and finished off with cheese.
- Grill in the oven until the cheese has melted and start to bubble. Serve hot.
Double the recipe for the bolognese, and freeze leftover meat sauce for subs next week.