You have most probably come across a post (or two) of mine where I complain about how very difficult it is cooking vegetables for one. Me, myself and I.
Not only has the cost of fresh foods become quite honestly, shocking, it has also become evidently clear that you need to get creative with those leftovers.
I mean, a head of broccoli and cauliflower can last me up to two weeks. Depending on what I actually do with them, I find more than once, to have these vegetables wasting away in the veggie drawer of the refrigerator.
So, the other day, I was pondering about what to make for lunch, as one does. I realized I had to use my broccoli and cauliflower before it’s too late, so I made a Broccoli and Cauliflower Cheese Dip.
You can easily serve it with a tray full of delicious crispy potato wedges or Sweet Potato Wedges if you like and dip away for an easy vegetarian lunch.
What do you do with your leftover vegetables?
|Prep Time||10 min|
|Cook Time||30 min|
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 head of broccoli
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 - 2 cups milk
- garlic salt and black pepper to season
- 2 cups grated mature cheddar cheese
- pinch chili flakes
- Steam the broccoli and cauliflower until soft. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat the butter until melted.
- Remove pot from heat and add the flour. Mix until you have a buttery paste.
- Add one cup of milk, whisk through and return the pot to the stove.
- Bring to a simmer and whisk until the bechamel sauce thickens. Add more milk and whisk until you have a thick sauce.
- Add one cup of cheese to the bechamel sauce, remove from heat and mix through.
- Mash the steamed broccoli and cauliflower and add this to your cheese sauce. Mix well.
- Scoop the creamy mixture into individual ramekins and top with cheese and chili flakes.
- Grill in a hot oven until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve hot with crispy potato wedges.
ermaghhhaaaddd…. I could do with one of these right Now!!! this is a definite must try… Thanks Anina…