Have you heard it? The question floating around – “What’s for dinner?!” Yes, I hear it all the time with a houseful of rumbling tummies. So today, I am sharing this super easy peasy Chicken A La King recipe that you simply HAVE to try.
How to Make Chicken A La King
The clever people would say that Chicken A La King originated in the 1890’s and was originally created by a chef with the name of William King – from there the Chicken A La KING, although there are many speculations of the origin of the dish. It consists of a cream sauce often made with sherry, mushrooms and vegetables with diced chicken served over rice or noodles.
What Vegetables can you use to make Chicken A La King
Vegetables such as green peppers, red peppers and sometimes even marrows are added to this delicious creamy béchamel sauce (a simple white sauce made with butter, flour and milk.) I used green pepper and mushrooms in my version, and added a little garlic and chilli for extra flavour. I also love to smother my creamy sauce with fresh parsley right before serving.
A meal fit for a King
What I love most about this recipe of Chicken A La King, is that any leftover roast chicken can be used from the day before. A wholesome dinner put together in no time. A little also goes a long way, make sure to make extra to freeze for easy access! Enjoy!
|Prep Time||15 min|
|Cook Time||15 min|
- 2 bird eye chili chopped fine
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 15 ml olive oil
- 4 chicken breast fillets cut into pieces
- 3 tablespoons butter
- salt and black pepper
- 1 large green pepper sliced
- 3 cups mushrooms chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter for bechamel sauce
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 cups milk
- handful parsley chopped fine
- salt and black pepper to season
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan and sauté the chili and garlic. Remove the ingredients from pan.
- Add the knob of butter to the pan, and brown the chicken pieces. Season with salt and pepper. Remove the chicken from pan too.
- Now saute the mushrooms and peppers. Add the butter to the pan for the bechamel sauce.
- As your peppers and mushrooms soften, add the flour and stir with a wooden spoon. You may take this off the heat while stirring.
- Add half of the milk to the mushroom mixture, take off the heat and mix through.
- Place the pan back onto the heat and gently simmer until sauce thickens, while mixing. You can add more milk as go you until your sauce is at desired thickness.
- Add the chicken pieces and sauted garlic mix and give it a good stir. Now add the parsley and serve with fluffy basmati rice.