I have another winner recipe to share with you today. As usual our midweek meal mainly consists of chicken – prepared in whichever way we can to make it delicious and palatable. Believe me – it can become quite a bore to make chicken for dinner almost every day. Luckily recipes like Crumbed Chicken with Mustard and Cinnamon produces a dish that you would want to have quite often. I hope!
The flavor combinations in this recipe are just magnificent. So here a little background on how this recipe was created.
As always, after a long day of strategically blogging and editing photos; fetching my little toddler monster from school, spending loads of time learning through play, trying to at least do some dishes or washing on schedule – the ever elusive question remains : What’s for dinner. Normally I would go the safe route with our chicken meals by roasting it with some potatoes and onions in the oven. Simple and easy, but this particular evening my hubby challenged me by simply refusing to eat my food unless it is prepared in a way like never before.
First off, I have to admit, I was kind of irritated because of my stock levels of ingredients in the pantry, nevertheless – his decision (and hard headedness) inspired a spark of creativity and ideas started to mold together in my brain.
From there I decided to use the designated chicken pieces, rub them with wholegrain mustard, dip them in cinnamon and paprika homemade crumb, and bake them in the oven until crisp.
The result? An absolutely beautiful tender piece of chicken with a crispy baked cinnamon and rather spicy crumb and a subtle mustard flavor that just make your taste buds beg for more. Seriously, make sure you have enough for seconds, because you’re going to want some!
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and have your food processor close by.
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||40 minutes|
- 4 slices white bread toasted
- 5 ml cinnamon ground
- 5 ml paprika
- 3 ml nutmeg ground
- 3 ml chicken spice
- salt and black pepper to season
- 6 chicken thighs
- 6 tablespoons wholegrain mustard
- 6 teaspoons butter
- First off add pieces of toasted bread into a food processor and add the cinnamon, paprika, nutmeg, chicken spice and salt and pepper. Blend until fine.
- Add a tablespoon of wholegrain mustard to each piece of chicken and rub with your hands (or a spoon) to ensure it covers the chicken.
- Dip the chicken pieces in the bread crumbs and ensure it is covered well.
- Arrange your chicken pieces in an oven safe dish and add a knob of butter on each chicken piece.
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 40 minutes; add the chicken for another 2 minutes with the oven setting on grill.
- Serve with flavored rice.