If you love baking you probably knew that yesterday was World Baking Day. Everywhere around the world bakers, cooks and lovers of food challenged themselves to step out of their comfort zones and to bake something epic.
Since I am not really a baker but rather a “cook” (just the word baking seems like a challenge to me), I chose a simple recipe of Lemon Loafs, to participate in this great initiative.
This recipe for Lemon Loafs is really simple and I was chuffed with the result and will definitely try something a bit more challenging next time.
So for those of you that’s really scared that your baking attempts might freak out your hubby – don’t feel too bad. As a matter of fact don’t feel bad at all – I had more than one fable attempt at baking and he still comes home to me every night…
Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius and prepare two loaf pans with nonstick spray or grease.
I love the fresh and tangy taste that lemons give to this easy and simple recipe. It’s a great treat for teatime and even my toddler didn’t mind digging into this delicious fluffy treat. I found the batter too much for one loaf pan, therefore you have to use two pans or half your recipe. You can also double the syrup if you like sticky moist cake. Hope you enjoyed World Baking Day!
|Prep Time||10 min|
|Cook Time||30 min|
- 350 gr castor sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 lemons zest and juices retained
- 350 gr flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 80 gr sugar
- juice from one lemon
- In a mixing bowl, beat the castor sugar, eggs and zest until fluffy with an electric mixer.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder into egg mixture, following with the milk and vanilla essence.
- Mix until incorporated and separate the batter into two loaf pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 170 degrees Celsius.
- Halfway through baking time, prepare the syrup by adding the sugar and lemon juice into a small saucepan. Heat it up until the sugar melts and the syrup gets thicker and sticky.
- When the lemon loafs are baked, gently pour the hot syrup over the lemon loafs.