Soup season is on. I don’t need much to convince me, and the last few days of cooler weather here in Jozi has surely sparked the engagement in satisfying bowls of goodness. I’ll have soup for breakfast, lunch and dinner by the way…
This recipe of Roasted Sweet Pepper and Tomato Soup is as comforting as it gets. I am also completely in awe of how simple it is to make a nutritious bowl of soup. There simply ain’t nothing like it when the wintery season hits.
I roasted a few tomatoes with sweet peppers, olive oil and loads of black pepper. Simply blitz the roasted ingredients in a food processor, serve with a quick homemade basil pesto and crème fraiche – and you have achieved success, my friends!
Take a look at my collection of soup recipes here, I have to say, it’s growing considerably well – and soon I might have to add few roundup posts like this one.
The Butternut Soup recipe is a firm favorite of mine and it is featured in my first e Cookbook, you can download it here, it’s free!
The most difficult thing about soup season for me is the array of different extras you can serve with your soups. Think grilled cheese sandwich squares, puff pastry pockets and just plain sourdough bread. To die for, right? What is your favorite go-to soup recipe?
|Prep Time||5 min|
|Cook Time||25 min|
- 4 large ripe tomatoes blanched and halved
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- variety of sweet bell pepper chopped
- 20 ml olive oil
- salt and black pepper to season
- handful chopped basil
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- creme fraiche to serve
- First off, place the tomatoes and peppers in an oven safe baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and season. Roast in the oven for about 20 – 25 minutes until done.
- Transfer the vegetables to a food processor and blitz until smooth.
- You can run the soup through a sieve if you like it more silky.
- For the basil pesto, add the fresh basil, garlic, parmesan, pine nuts and olive oil in a pestle and mortar and grind to a paste.
- Add spoonfuls of pesto to the soup, serve with crème fraiche and season to taste.