I was craving Nachos the other day, as in a serious craving of note, that almost had me driving to the closest nacho place. Yeah. I had a ripe avocado, tomatoes and cheese in the pantry so every time I opened the cupboard it was a constant reminder that these ingredients needed to be used, on nachos. Eat. Us. On. Nachos.
I couldn’t just give up my good stride of going without carbs so to give my cravings a kick to the curb I thought of using sweet potato as a substitute to my nacho chips. Sure, for some of you this is probably the end of the world, but let me tell you, it was absolutely delicious.
These Sweet Potato Nachos surely tasted like nachos and I could indulge in delicious homemade guacamole with loads of cheese and sour cream, without feeling like a total loser. A carb addicted loser.
It is an easy and quick vegetarian meal that the whole family can enjoy. I felt it necessary to share it with you as it is #MeatlessMonday today and you probably need some delicious inspiration for your week ahead – without the carbs. Enjoy!
|Prep Time||10 min|
|Cook Time||40 min|
- 1 large sweet potato cut into thin rounds
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and black pepper to season
- 1 cup grated cheddar or mozzarella
- 1 tomato finely chopped
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- pinch dried oregano
- 1 avocado mashed
- salt and pepper to season avo
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar for avo
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- First off, season, drizzle with olive oil and roast the sweet potato slices, in the oven until golden and crisp. Drain on kitchen paper and arrange on a dinner plate.
- Top the sweet potato with cheese and return to the oven until the cheese is melted and boiling.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the avo, seasoning and vinegar. Mix well.
- Top the melted cheese nachos with tomato, onion and dried chilli flake “salsa”, followed by salad sprinkles or dried oregano, generous spoonful of guacamole and sour cream.