Dudes, this is another killer recipe for you guys. Don’t worry, it isn’t really a toad. In a hole. No. It is actually a very traditional British recipe that has stood the test of time – also pretty cheap, easy and rather tasty if I have to say so myself.
The interwebz are full of them Toads in Holes. Any sausages can be used for the “toads” and a delicious Yorkshire Pud-like batter is used to bake the sausages in.
In my version, I used Biltong@za‘s home made Russians. Yes friends. The Russians teams up with the Brits here, and this tangy spicy and salty sausage gets engulfed in a delicious batter; which contains chilli flakes, crispy bacon bits and rosemary. Yes, yes and yes.
The best part? It all cooks in one pan. Oh, and, Biltong@za stock these amazing Russians, made with their own special recipe. These guys just get it.
Guys (and girls), it doesn’t get simpler and cheaper than this. It is rather comforting and definitely made my books as a staple no fuss dinner idea. Don’t add any salt to your batter, as the Russians are pretty salty themselves and you have bacon in there too. Be sure to try these amazing Russians from Biltong@za, I know I will be stocking up!
|Prep Time||15 min|
|Cook Time||30 min|
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 russian sausages or any spicy sausage you like
- 1 cup flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 5 ml chili flakes
- 125 gr bacon diced
- fresh rosemary
- onion marmelade to serve
- First off, heat the oven to 230 degrees Celsius.
- Add the olive oil to an oven safe dish and put it in the oven to heat up to scorching hot.
- Fry the bacon until crispy.
- Combine the flour, eggs, milk and chilli flakes in a mixing bowl, and whisk until smooth. Add half the bacon bits.
- Remove the hot oven dish from the oven and carefully add the Russians to the hot oil, give it a mix and add the batter to the hot pan, covering the Russians.
- Put it back in the hot oven, and bake for about 30 minutes on 230 degrees, until the batter bakes through and changes to a golden colour.
- Halfway through baking time, add the fresh rosemary stalks to the batter.
- When done, remove from heat, serve immediately with extra bacon bits and onion marmalade.