Ok, so this one might be a little bit trickier. But if you have done it as much as I have, you have to believe me; you will be able to do it in your sleep! The thing that makes this meringue cake so divine is the different textures you can indulge in. The first component is a layer of soft fluffy vanilla sponge cake with added pecan nuts in the batter, topped with a delicious crispy and sweet meringue and layered with fresh strawberries and cream.
Doesn’t it sound just marvelous? Of coarse you can use any fruit you like. Crushed pineapple, blackberries, fresh litchis; they all make a great substitute for strawberries. Follow the easy steps, and you will be able to master this cake in no time.
You will need 2 bottom loose cake pans, greased and sprinkled with flour, fresh strawberries or fruit of your choice, chopped pecan nuts and clotted cream. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celcius. Can serve up to 12 people.
|Prep Time||15 min|
|Cook Time||30 min|
- 125 gr butter softened
- 80 gr sugar
- 4 large eggs seperated
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch salt
- 125 ml milk
- 1/2 cup pecan nuts chopped
Vanilla nut sponge base
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and creamy.
- Add the egg yolk one by one, while beating.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt
- Add the flour mixture and milk alternatively while still beating the butter and egg mixture. Mix until just incorporated.
- Divide the batter in two, and spread into prepared loose bottom pans.
- Sprinkle the chopped nuts over the batter. Set aside.
- Mix the egg whites in an electric mixer just until frothy.
- Add the sugar little by little while mixing the whites on high.
- Mix for another 4 minutes on high, until the meringue is glossy and stiff peaks.
- Divide the meringues onto the batter, don’t spread it flat, keep it peaked and airy.
- Bake the meringue cake for 30 minutes, until meringue is light brown.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool in pans before removing.
- When the cake is properly cooled, press the bottom of the pan and lift it over the cake. Use a flat spatula to loosen the bottom of the sponge cake, or you could use wax paper before you bake it to line the bottom for easier handling.
- On top of the first layer, arrange your fresh fruit to cover the meringue. Top that with a layer of fresh clotted cream.
- Place the second meringue cake on top and decorate with more fresh fruit and cream. Sprinkle with nuts if desired.
It is a good idea to try and serve this cake as soon as possible, as it is best when it is fresh. It keeps well in a refrigerator. Note that it can fall flat a little bit as the meringue cools and the cream sets in.