Another weekend has just arrived, and I am sure you are already planning a festive get together with friends or family. If you are unsure what to present for snacks this weekend – look no further – for I have the perfect solution.
Crudités are not only a fresh and healthy outlook on an idea for snacks, but it is also super delicious and wholesome! This type of thing really takes no effort to put together, and you can wow your guests with beautiful fresh produce that they simply would not be able to resist.
Just to let you know for those of you that wondered: Crudités literally means ‘uncooked vegetables/food’ and has its origin from the very clever French culinary history. They use a variety of raw vegetables served with a dipping sauce like a vinaigrette or creamy cheese. Crudités are by far the perfect snack for summer.
You can combine any of your favorite vegetables for this versatile snack, and you can even throw in a few pieces of fresh fruit for the sweet tooth.
I used veggies that are in season at the moment: from radishes to broccoli, olive and cucumber sosaties; baby corn and green beans and a delicious creamy tomato and basil mayonnaise.
INGREDIENTS FOR A CRUDITE PLATTER:
- 1 broccoli head, carefully broken into florets, rinsed
- 1 cauliflower head, carefully broken into florets, rinsed
- 1 packet of baby corn, rinsed
- Bell peppers of different colors, cut into rounds, rinsed
- Half a cucumber, cut into strips, rinsed
- Half a cucumber, cut into rounds for sosaties, rinsed
- A punnet of radishes, cut into rounds, rinsed
- Pitted olives of your choice for sosaties
- 300gr cheddar cheese, cut into squares for sosaties
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into strips, rinsed
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into rings for sosaties
- Cherry tomatoes, some whole some cut in half for sosaties
- A packet of fine green beans, rinsed
- A pineapple, cleaned and cut into squares for fruit sosaties
- A punnet of strawberries rinsed and cut in half for fruit sosaties.
- A tub of cream cheese (tomato and basil flavor)
- Half a cup of low fat mayonnaise
- Spring onion for garnish.
METHOD FOR A CRUDITE PLATTER:
So this is the fun part! You can really arrange your veggies like you want on your plate, playing around with the beautiful colors of the veggies.
This is what I did:
Fruit sosaties – skewered on a toothpick with pineapple and strawberry.
Olive sosaties – olives skewered on a toothpick with a piece of cheese and cucumber.
Tomato sosaties – half a cherry tomato skewered on a toothpick with a piece of cucumber and carrot.
Arrange the rest of the ingredients on plate with the sosaties.
Mix the cream cheese with the mayonnaise and garnish plate with finely cut spring onion.
Enjoy for a deliciously healthy snack with a few of your best mates and your favorite wine! This platter served about 10 – 15 people before a meal.