I had some lovely zucchini in my fridge left over from a veggie dish I had prepared for my corporate lunches and I couldn’t shake the feeling that I wanted to use them in a recipe.
What I was going to do with them, I had no idea, and after a quick scour of the pantry my eye caught the couscous. I love to cook with couscous; it has to be my most exotic item in my pantry. Although it has been around for ages, I only really started cooking with it a while back, so it always feels like I am preparing a dish meant for gods when I cook with it.
No wonder that this recipe of Couscous with Zucchini and Sun dried Tomato came out so mouthwatering and delicious, I simply had to share it with you for a quick and easy side dish idea.
It consists of perfectly cooked couscous, ribbons of blanched zucchini and the addition of tang sun dried tomato with flavorsome fresh cilantro.
This dish really went well with a Moroccan spiced roasted chicken I made and it can easily be meal on its own if you want to do the no meat thing. You can also substitute the veggies I used with any other you might have on hand. Serve this wonderful side at your Easter feast this weekend and stun your guests with a meal they will never forget! Happy Easter!
|Prep Time||10 min|
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup couscous uncooked
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 4 zucchini blanched and peeled into ribbons
- 1 cup sun dried tomato juices retained
- handful cilantro/coriander chopped
- salt and black pepper to season
- First off, bring the water to boil, add the olive oil and salt. When the water is boiling, remove from heat and stir in the uncooked couscous.
- Leave to steep for two minutes, add the butter and put it back on low heat to cook for three minutes while stirring with a fork to separate the grains.
- When the couscous is ready transfer it to your choice of serving dish, add the ribbons of zucchini, the sun dried tomatoes and chopped cilantro.
- Give the ingredients a good mix, season with salt and pepper and serve warm or cold with your choice of meat.