All Bran Rusks
I hope all of you are ready to bake some rusks this weekend. Believe me, when you see how easy this recipe of All Bran Rusks are, you would want to jump right in!
It’s a tradition in South Africa, right?
To have a tin full of rusks in the kitchen, to have a mother or a grandmother that enjoys baking rusks and always insist you take a container full of rusks back home?
I think there is nothing more homey than having a cup of tea with a piece good old “anys beskuit”. Just the smell of baking rusks puts me back to my childhood and I remember my great Aunts house smelling of “moerkoffie” and “mosbolletjies”. Those were the days.
This All Bran recipe is quick and simple and doesn’t need any time to rise as it doesn’t contain yeast. It uses easy ingredients that you will probably have in your pantry. Right now. No Jokes. It is delicious and hopefully the young ones will also enjoy them.
You can make this recipe your own by adding your favourite nuts and seeds; and raisins can also be a great addition. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius. This recipe delivers more or less 2 kg of jummyness.
Ingredients for All Bran Rusks:
- 500 gr soft margarine/butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 kg self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 750 ml all bran flakes measure it out and crush it with a rolling pin. Or the bottom of a beer glass. I don’t know. If you like.
- 300ml milk
Method for All Bran Rusks:
- In a mixing bowl, combine the butter, sugar and eggs and whisk well until incorporated.
- Add the flour, salt and all bran flakes, mix, lastly add the milk and mix well (with your hands girl) until well incorporated.
- Prepare a baking tray with nonstick spray, push the batter in the pan, level it out and cut it into the size of rusks you would like to have either with a pizza cutter, I guess a knife would do just fine.
- Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes until brown. Remove the rusks, and arrange it on an oven tray to dry out through the night, your oven set to 70 degrees Celsius.
Right? How easy is that? Wether you like yours in the morning for breakfast, a quick nibble or afternoon tea - I am sure these All Bran Rusks won't dissapoint and hopefully also bring back great childhood memories! Let me know when you try them!