There is nothing like a deliciously comforting bowl of stew. Ok, maybe a deliciously comforting bowl of chocolate puds of some sort. But that is for another day.
This recipe of Beef and Tomato Stew on Shredded Cabbage is the perfect winter warmer. Let the aromas of beef, tomato, garlic and herbs fill your kitchen for a lazy weekend meal. Or simply add the stew to your slow cooker, and you have a hearty dinner for the crowds. Because we are always cooking for crowds, aren’t we?
I was trusted with beautiful Beef Shin meats from my friends over at Biltong@za. The quality of their meats just blows my mind every time, and I am happy to say that this recipe will be seen more than just once during these colder months in the South. The south of Africa that is…
Indulge in a deliciously aromatic broth of been shin, garlic, chili, tomato and onion; served on freshly shredded cabbage with roasted vegetables.
This Beef and Tomato Stew was delicious served on shredded cabbage – and completely low carb, however if you are not a veggie lover, rather steam some basmati rice to serve with your stew. Add a small can of tomato puree if you like a stronger tomato taste. AND head over to Biltong@za for great specials on great produce. Keep warm all!
|Prep Time||15 min|
|Cook Time||3 hours|
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 125 gr bacon diced
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 bird eye chili finely chopped
- handful rosemary and thyme chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 kg beef shin meat
- 2 cans chopped and peeled tomatoes
- 1 cup beef stock
- 3 bay leaves
- salt and black pepper to season
- 15 ml olive oil
- 2 cups pearl onions peeled
- 3 carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 cup zucchini chopped
- 1 cup pattypans halved
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 15 ml olive oil to roast veg
- 2 small cabbages shredded
- fresh herbs to garnish
- First off, heat the butter in a large pot and saute the bacon, onion, celery, garlic, chilli and herbs until soft and brown. Remove from pot.
- Heat the olive oil in the pot and brown the meat, with bones and all.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, stock, bay leaves and the sauteed ingredients.
- Simmer for about 2 – 3 hours covered, checking every now and then for liquid and adding seasoning to taste.
- Add the pearl onions and carrots with one hour cooking time left.
- Before serving, arrange the zucchini, patty pans and broccoli in an oven safe dish and drizzle with olive oil. Roast until tender and colored.
- Serve stew on shredded cabbage with roasted vegetables.