A family gathering is not complete without this showstopper dessert – Bread and Butter Pudding with Dark Chocolate Ganache and Citrus. This mouthwatering festive pudding is worth it, trust me!
Ingredients to Make Bread and Butter Pudding
Long fermented sourdough bread is used for this Bread and Butter Pudding, with a simple custard filling. Good quality dark chocolate is a must for this easy ganache topping. Finish the dish off with a generous sprinkle of lemon zest.
I was lucky enough to have spent a morning with The Artisan Baker – Barry Korb, to hear all about his non GMO, low GI, low sugar, 100% wheat, healthy bread – that is available at Jacksons Real Food Market, in Johannesburg. This man’s passion to create a healthy and nutritious alternative to the usual shop bought bread, blew me away.
Guys, HEALTHY BREAD!
Did you know that this bread is suitable for diabetics and gluten intolerance sufferers? It literally only contains three ingredients: Stone milled flour, water and salt. Read all about what goes into the process here. It’s a complete eye opener.
How To Make Bread and Butter Pudding
I wanted to come up with a festive recipe that’s pretty indulgent without too much of the guilt. Consequently, this drool-worthy dessert was the result. Because, really now. Who doesn’t love bread?
Bread and Butter Pudding with Dark Chocolate Ganache and Citrus was born. Your perfect Christmas dessert made with amazing ingredients.
My Bread and Butter Pudding consists of buttery slices of The Artisan Bakers bread, covered in a cream, whole milk and egg custard, sweetened with coconut sugar and topped with a swoon worthy 80% dark chocolate ganache and citrus zest.
Do you get that this might be the best thing SINCE sliced bread? Yes please!
All the ingredients I used in this recipe are from Jacksons, and is organic, chemical free and totes wholesome.
|Prep Time||10 min|
|Cook Time||35 min|
- 1 loaf plain sourdough bread from Jacksons Real Food Market
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 cups full cream milk
- 1/2 cup double cream
- 2 pinches ground nutmeg
- 1 cup cream
- 200 gr dark chocolate
- zest orange, lime and lemon 1 each
- Slice the loaf of bread about 2 cm thick and again in half.
- Butter each slice and grease an enamel or oven safe bowl with butter.
- In an electric mixer beat the eggs, coconut sugar and vanilla essence until light and fluffy.
- Heat the milk and cream in the microwave and slowly pour into the egg mixture, while whisking on low.
- Add the nutmeg and mix through.
- Arrange the buttered slices of bread in an oven safe dish and cover with egg mixture. Push the bread into the liquid to ensure it's covered.
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 35 minutes or until the egg mixture is set. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In the meantime, heat the last bit of cream in a microwave and add the chocolate. Mix until you have a smooth, rich liquid ganache.
- To serve, pour the chocolate ganache over the bread and butter pudding and garnish with fresh zest from a lime, orange and lemon.
Replace the coconut sugar with erythritol sweetener for a diabetic friendly version.