This fresh and filling Chickpea and Celery Salad has become my new favourite! Bright and fresh flavours from celery, limes, cucumber, fresh onion AND a protein punch from canned chickpeas and parmesan cheese.
How To Make Chickpea and Celery Salad
First off, spend some time cleaning those canned chickpeas. Drain the chickpeas and rinse through running water while removing the husks. The brine of canned chickpeas is called aquafaba and can be used in vegan baking, so don’t discard it!
Next, wash and prep the rest of your salad ingredients. Chop the celery, cucumber and onion really fine. Simply toss it all together in a salad bowl and serve!
Chickpea or Garbanzo bean?
Confusion station? Nope, chickpeas ARE garbanzo beans. A slight variation in name, but in fact these are the same bean, from the same legume plant family.
Do you need to cook canned chickpeas?
You do not have to cook canned chickpeas! Therefore, make sure you stock up on a few cans to keep in the pantry. Canned chickpeas are already cooked and you can simply use it directly from the can to save precious time in the kitchen.
Are Chickpeas good for you?
Chickpeas (or garbanzo beans) are indeed very good for human health. Not only does it help regulate blood sugar levels, chickpeas are high in fibre, vitamins, minerals AND an incredible rich source of plant protein. Best of all, chickpeas are super versatile and delicious!
Make Ahead Chickpea and Celery Salad for the Fridge
This Chickpea and Celery Salad is a great make-ahead salad you can prepare when you are meal prepping for the week ahead. It keeps well in the fridge for up to 4 days.
This Chickpea and Celery salad is fresh, vibrant and zesty. Pair it with roasted veggies or serve it as a side with your favourite roast. Enjoy!
More Salad Recipes to try
Jerk Buttered Cauliflower with Watermelon Salad
Easy Vegan Green Goddess Salad Dressing
|Prep Time||20 min|
- 1 can chickpeas drained and husks removed
- 3 stalks celery with leaves finely chopped
- 1/4 cucumber finely chopped
- 1/2 onion or red onion finely chopped
- 1 red chili finely chopped
- 1 lime juice and zest
- Drain the canned chickpeas and keep the brine (aquafaba). Clean the chickpeas under running water to remove the husk.
- Prep the rest of the salad ingredients and place it in a mixing bowl with the chickpeas. Add the parmesan shards. Mix altogether.
- Place the salad dressing ingredients in a small mixing bowl and combine well. Drizzle the salad with the dressing before serving.