So its weekend right? You are probably expecting some friends over for a braai this weekend, since the weather in Johannesburg are absolutely delightful! It seems summer is just a few weeks away and I have to totally unpack my summer clothes – what a job!
I have already resorted into planning a much fresher and greener menu for my family and cannot wait to whip up some great salads and smoothies!! How fun!
Today I would like to share a very easy and delicious recipe of Cocktail Beef Kebabs. This is a great snack to prepare for those lovely weekend summer braais, and is ideal to serve while the guys have a beer in hand and ready to braai, accompanied by cheese and biscuits.
Cocktail Beef Kebabs consists of mini beef cubes, skewered on a toothpick with red onions and green pepper, and baked in the oven with a tantalizing sweet curry marinade! Absolutely to die for!
Try this recipe to make individual (big) sosaties for an easy midweek meal with fresh greens and baked potatoes. You won’t be left disappointed!
Preheat your oven to 220 degrees Celsius.
|Prep Time||20 min|
|Cook Time||15 min|
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 cup fruit chutney
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- black pepper to season
- 1.5 kg rump steak cut into cubes
- 2 green peppers cut into cubes
- 2 red onions segmented
- bunch toothpicks
- First off mix the ingredients for the marinade together in a mixing bowl: oil, tomato sauce, Worcester sauce, onion, curry powder, chutney, salt, mustard powder and a few long grinds of black pepper. Cool in refrigerator while finishing off your kebabs.
- Cut the cubed meat into small square pieces of about 4 x 4 cm.
- Skewer the meat with green pepper and onions alternatively until the toothpick is full. I use about 4 pieces of meat for each toothpick. Chuck remaining meat in a sealed freezer bag and freeze for up to 2 months.
- Transfer the kebabs into the marinade and cool in fridge for another 20 minutes.
- Have an oven pan ready and arrange marinate kebabs in the pan, smothering the kebabs with the remaining marinade.
- Cover with tinfoil and bake for 10 minutes at 200 degrees Celsius.
- After ten minutes, remove the pan, give the kebabs a stir and baste with marinade in pan. Return covered to oven and bake for another 10 min.
- Remove from oven, remove the foil, give it another baste and shake, return to the oven uncovered for another 5 minutes until you have beautiful golden brown kebabs.
- Remove from oven. By using tongs (or a fork I guess) remove the kebabs from the pan and leave to cool. Arrange on snack platter, serve cold with cheese and biscuits or other snacks.