I am sure all of you know how versatile mushrooms are, right? Have you ever heard of the blendability approach to your daily meal preperations? Let me fill you in…
By increasing your intake of lower calorie foods, specifically mushrooms, combined with other ingredients – you can easily reduce your consumption of calories and fat. It is a pretty economical way to have nutritious meals served to the family, as mushrooms contain potassium, B vitamins and important anti oxidants that maintain a healthy immune system.
I don’t know about you, but I am on a mission to get healthy meals on the table and by using the blendability approach you can also save a little money by eating healthier. Sounds like a win win situation to me…
Mushrooms are a great addition to any meal and goes well with most kinds of meats and vegetables. It also offers a delicious umami taste experience and keeps us full and satisfied.
This recipe is a perfect example of how you can use the blendability approach with mushrooms in your kitchen. I decided to use brown mushrooms and chicken breast fillets, stir fried with spoons full of basil pesto and served on crunchy zucchini noodles – a perfect low carb meal, rich with nutrients.
I am definitely a fan of this approach and will be experimenting with more recipes using mushrooms as a key ingredient. I will post another epic recipe about here next month, with some handy tips to get your blendability mode ON! Follow Mushrooms South Africa on Facebook and Twitter. Enjoy!
*This post was sponsored. The recipe and images are my own.
|Prep Time||10 min|
|Cook Time||15 min|
- 20 ml olive oil
- 2 chicken breast fillets cut into strips
- 400 gr brown mushrooms sliced
- 3 tablespoons basil pesto
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed garlic
- salt and black pepper to season
- 500 gr zucchini spiraled
- fresh parmesan to serve
- fresh basil leaves to garnish
- First off, heat the olive oil in a wok and saute the chicken until cooked.
- Add the mushrooms and saute for another 5 minutes.
- Add the basil pesto and garlic and mix it through.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- After thinly slicing or spiraling the zucchini, bring two cups of salted water to a boil and blanch for two minutes. Drain.
- Arrange the zucchini noodles on a serving platter and top with sautéed chicken and mushrooms.
- Serve with parmesan cheese and fresh basil.