It’s that time of the year again where I have to put all my creativity and energy into creating recipes for my Corporate Lunches. I try to keep the meals interesting and flavorsome – trying new recipes and combining ingredients to entice my clients with great quality and great tasty lunches. This recipe of Spanish Chicken and Rice are one of those recipes.
You can say that this recipe is my version of the Spanish dish called arroz con pollo – which means chicken and rice in Spanish. Although the Spanish version might have more authentic spices and herbs, this recipe reflects a mouthwatering dish with great flavor and a light Mediterranean feel.
The ingredients for Spanish Chicken and Rice are simple and affordable – mark this dish as a favorite quick family meal in your recipe journal.
It consists of shredded chicken smothered in a tomato, rosemary and black pepper sauce on a bed of flavorsome rice served with Spanish pimento olives. How much more Spanish can you get? Ok, maybe you can get it way more Spanish – but this surely is a great second!
|Prep Time||10 min|
|Cook Time||15 min|
- 4 chicken breast fillets poached and cooled to shred
- 1 can chopped and peeled tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- sprig fresh rosemary chopped
- salt and black pepper to season
- 1 onion peeled and chopped fine
- 1 red pepper chopped fine
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 15 ml olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds ground in pestle and mortar
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds ground in pestle and mortar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup rice uncooked
- 1 cup pimento olives to serve
- Shred the cooked chicken and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat the tinned tomatoes with the brown sugar, rosemary, salt and lots of black pepper.
- Cook for about 8 minutes and set aside.
- Add the chicken to the tomato sauce and give it a good mix.
- Add the onion, pepper and garlic in another saucepan with olive oil and sauté for 3 minutes until translucent.
- Add the paprika, turmeric, coriander, cumin and oregano and salt and mix through.
- Remove from the heat and add the rice, mix through, cover with water and cook until done.
- Serve the chicken with the rice and add pimento olives for taste.