A healthy pescatarian dish, this Prawn and Coconut Curry features today on the blog. It is a delicious, flavorsome curry broth made with coconut milk, Thai curry paste, fresh vegetables and fresh grilled prawns.
How To make Prawn and Coconut Curry
This Prawn and Coconut Curry recipe, is pretty simple and super comforting thanks to the heat of the chili and the wonderful aromas of ginger, lemongrass and garlic in the curry. The curry broth alone is perfect to enjoy on a chilly day to warm from inside. First you make the curry and coconut broth from scratch, but you can find Thai curry pastes almost anywhere, if you are more for the convenience (aren’t we all).
Ingredients for Prawn and Coconut Curry
Simply use fresh queen prawns from the local fishmonger. I decided to flash fry the prawns and added it to the curry sauce. Next, you add the vegetables such as bok choy, carrots and spring onion. This will add some greens and crunch to the dish and to bulk it up I added glass noodles. However, you can totally add more veggies to this if you want or leave out the noodles altogether. How slurpworthy does this Prawn and Coconut Curry look? Let me know what you think in the comments below!
|Prep Time||15 min|
|Cook Time||20 min|
- 15 ml olive oil
- 5 cm grated ginger
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 brown onion finely chopped
- 4 stalks lemongrass crushed and chopped
- 3 birds eye chili finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 lime juice retained
- 4 stalks spring onion finely chopped
- 4 medium carrots sliced in ribbons
- 4 individual bok choy washed and sliced in half
- 4 portions glass noodles
- 15 ml olive oil
- 500 gr fresh queen prawns
- seasoning for the prawns
- First off, to make your curry paste - heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and place the ginger, garlic, onion, lemongrass, chili and spices to saute for a few minutes. Or simply replace with 2 Tablespoons of store bought paste.
- Once the onion is translucent and soft, add the soy sauce and coconut milk to the pan and allow to heat through.
- Now blend this sauce in a blender until smooth and pour it through a sieve if you want a silky broth.
- Place the blended sauce back on the heat and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Boil water and cover the noodles.
- Prep your veggies and only add it to the hot coconut curry sauce about 5 minutes before dishing up.
- For the prawns, devein them and make sure they are clean and patted dry.
- Heat the olive oil in a wok until scorching hot and flash fry the prawns, seasoning as you go.
- To assemble; scoop the broth with veggies into a bowl, give it a good squeeze of lime juice, add the softened noodles and top with prawns.
- Serve with fresh coriander and lime wedges.
The base of the broth is vegan, so simply replace the prawns with more sauteed veggies for a plant based meal.
Everything looks so amazingly delicious. Can’t wait to try your recipes.