I have to pace myself to not get too exited about the holidays ahead. There are still two full working weeks left for my clan and it’s going to be a tough two weeks indeed.
Don’t lose focus guys, because there are still dinners to me made and mouths to feed. So to help you get through the last bit of grind – my version of the Ultimate Mac and Cheese.
I mean, a simpler and comforting meal there never was. I spruced my version up by making my own spicy tomato sauce and a decadent cheese sauce to smother the cooked macaroni with, topped with extra crispy bacon – more cheese and parmesan. Like?
And there you have it. Hubby can take the leftovers to work the next day or you could just make double and freeze a batch – great to whip out when you’re pressed for time to cook as this Ultimate Mac and Cheese freezes like a dream.
So – heads down, fingers on mouses, focus in the meeting and smash those deadlines!
|Prep Time||10 min|
|Cook Time||45 min|
- 250 gr bacon diced
- 15 ml olive oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 2 bird eye chili finely chopped
- 6 ripe tomatoes blanched, skins removed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- bunch fresh rosemary tied
- salt and black pepper to season
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup mature cheddar cheese grated
- 3 cups cooked macaroni
- 1 cup grated mature cheddar for topping
- sprinkle grated parmesan cheese for topping
- First off, fry the bacon until crispy and set aside.
- In a small pot heat the olive oil and saute the garlic and chilli.
- Add the chopped, blanched tomatoes and saute for another minute.
- Add the sugar, balsamic vinegar, herbs and seasoning. Leave to simmer and reduce for 30 minutes.
- Remove the rosemary bunch. You can blend the tomato sauce to a smooth sauce if you wish. Set aside.
- To make your cheese sauce, melt the butter in a medium sized pot and add the flour – mix together until you have a paste like medium.
- Add one cup of milk, whisk until incorporated and return to medium heat, whisking while the sauce heats up.
- As the cheese sauce becomes thicker, you can add another cup of milk. Be sure to keep on whisking.
- Continue whisking until thick and adding milk as you go until you have a runnier sauce, flour cooked out.
- Add the cheese, remove from heat and whisk through. Season.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the cooked macaroni with spicy tomato sauce and cheese sauce ensuring it covers well with a little extra.
- Transfer the macaroni to an oven safe dish, top with the last bit of cheese, crispy bacon and sprinkle with parmesan.
- Bake in the oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 15 minutes, until cheese has melted.
Chhhheeeessseeee Nom nom!!