A vanilla swiss roll with caramel filling has always been my favorite baked treat. Such a versatile dessert, it can be transformed into many different flavor ideas.
Versatile Swiss Roll
With the cake being a chocolate, vanilla, marble or mocha – the delight of this cake lies in the filling. From caramel, vanilla frosting, your favorite jam, chocolate cream, clotted cream, cream cheese; the potential of this versatile cake are never-ending!
This recipe I must add is quick and easy. At first I thought I would never get those egg whites folded into the batter. The longer you fold, the more the batter incorporates the egg, resulting in an unbelievable light and fluffy mixture.
How to make a Vanilla Swiss Roll
As soon as it comes out of the oven place your swiss roll cake face down on a cloth sprinkled with castor sugar. I found that if the cloth is damp, is tends to make the outside of your swiss roll very soggy and sticky. So it’s all about trial and error here…Some suggests that the cloth be damp, others don’t.
This recipe delivers a very fluffy cake, so be careful when handling it! It’s such a delicious treat – I hope you find it as indulgent as I did!
Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius and grease a flat oven pan. Can serve up to 12 people.
|Prep Time||5 min|
|Cook Time||20 min|
- 1 cup castor sugar
- 4 large eggs seperated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1/4 cup cold water
- castor sugar to roll for sugar crust
- 1 can cooked sweetened condensed milk for the filling
- In a mixing bowl, mix with an electric mixer on high, castor sugar and egg yolks until creamy.
- Add vanilla essence and mix. Add a little bit of water to the mixture.
- In a different mixing bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add to the sugar and egg mixture and mix well.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks.Fold the egg whites into the batter, adding the rest of the cold water.
- Fold until just incorporated. Pour batter into pan and bake for 20 min at 180 degrees Celsius.
- When it’s ready to come out the oven, prepare a kitchen cloth by sprinkling a layer of castor sugar.
- Tip the swiss roll face first onto the cloth. Roll quickly to set form.
- Unroll when it is still warm to add your filling of cooked condensed milk - the caramel. Or any other filling you like. Roll again and cut in desirable pieces.
Hi Anina, I’d like o use this recipe but it seems to be missing a section – what do you do with the condensed milk? How do you make the caramel?