The perfect holiday dessert, this Vegan Apple Crumble is extremely delicious and tasty. Slow baked apples with hints of cinnamon, ginger and caramel topped with a crunchy oat and almond crumble. To die for!
A few apples were looking sad on my kitchen counter and I instantly knew that I needed to make some sort of apple pie or crumble. Since I am on a mission to healthify most of my baked goods, I decided to go vegan with this one. I played around and adapted this recipe from my all time favourite blog, Minimalist Baker. I did however use good old brown sugar. It’s all about balance, right?
Easy Vegan Apple Crumble Recipe
Holiday season bake or just a homemade treat for tea, you don’t need an excuse to make this yummy Vegan Apple Crumble. It is immensely moreish and utterly delicious. Even though this apple crumble is made with vegan ingredients, the slow cooked apples turned out perfectly caramelised and the topping is that of a rich, buttery crumb.
Ingredients for a Vegan Apple Crumble
You only need a few pantry ingredients for this easy, slow baked, one-bowl Vegan Apple Crumble. Most of the ingredients might be in your kitchen right now!
- Lemon juice
- Brown Sugar
- Corn Flour
- Almond Flour
- Coconut Oil
How To Make a Vegan Apple Crumble
First off, start preparing your apples. Peel, core and cut them into small wedges or squares – as long as they are all the same size to cook evenly through.
Next, coat the sliced apples with lemon juice, brown sugar, corn flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and some water. There is no need to pre cook the apples or make any extra caramel sauce in this recipe.
The prepped apples get topped with a crumble made with oats, almonds, cinnamon, sugar and coconut oil.
Bake this apple crumble slowly on medium heat to allow the apples to cook through and to create that oozy caramel we all love. Not to mention that golden crumbly topping!
I ended up eating the whole thing by adding some leftovers to my morning oats. Hello, gamechanger!
|Prep Time||15 min|
|Cook Time||60 min|
- 6 apples peeled, cored and cut into same size
- 1 lemon juice and zest
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 cm fresh ginger grated
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons corn flour
- 1/2 cup water
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup organic rolled oats
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour I use stoneground cake flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup almonds roughly chopped some left whole
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted
For the Filling
For the Crumble Topping
- For the filling; Peel, core and cut apples into small wedges or squares - as long as they are all the same size to cook evenly through.
- Coat the sliced apples with lemon juice, brown sugar, corn flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and some water.
- In a mixing bowl combine the ingredients for the crumble topping.
- Scoop the apples into an oven safe baking dish and top with the crumble.
- Bake at 150 degrees Celsius for one hour, or until the apples are soft and caramelised and the topping is golden brown and crisp.