Jep, it’s that time of the week again – Friday! If your eating and cooking routine is anything like mine, you will also feel like a kid again when this long awaited day of the week arrives! And to top it off – It’s my cheat day! I had to simply go with mouthwatering Vanilla and Sticky Toffee Cupcakes today.
This recipe is so easy and simple – I use it all the time to create beautiful fluffy vanilla muffins for my little toddler when he is nagging for a cupcakey. He simply adores them!
You can use this vanilla sponge cupcake recipe and add any filling, topping or frosting you want. I promise you – this is one of those recipes you need to memorize for an instant treat for the family.
This cupcake recipe is an age old family recipe. I don’t know where it originated from; all I know is that it is similar to what most South Africans would call: a “klop en bak koek” recipe. (Translation: flippen easy) And my mom used to bake from this recipe all the time.
For the topping I decided to go with a beautiful rich, sticky toffee drizzle with a hint of vanilla.
I have to confess though – I never (yes never) made toffee or caramel before! I know! What a scandal! Anyway – this time I had my adorable hubby in the kitchen to assist (who also cooks by the way) and it turned out pretty good!
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius, and prepare 2 dozen cupcake pans with nonstick spray, or use muffin cups to add the batter.
Ok, here is the thing. I know now that you should heat your sugar first to achieve a golden caramel, and then add the butter. BUT – remember it was my first time making toffee? I accidentally added both the butter and the sugar in the pot. My hubby was quite surprised when I did this and arrogantly asked me what the hell I was doing. Anyway, after much deliberation and whisking, my toffee didn’t end up too bad.
However, I have a great link here for a gorgeous sticky Salted Caramel recipe from a very inspiring and successful fellow foodie Samantha Lindsell from her blog Drizzle and Dip. Done the right way around!
She has also launched her first cookbook – gotta check it out! Happy Baking!
|Prep Time||10 min|
|Cook Time||20 min|
- 3/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- 5 ml vanilla essence
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch salt
- 125 gr butter
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 tin sweetened condensed milk
- 5 ml vanilla essence
- First off, heat the milk, vanilla and oil in the microwave until lukewarm. Set aside.
- In an electric mixer, beat the sugar and eggs together until creamy
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into the egg and sugar mixture
- Lastly add the milk to this mixture and gently beat until incorporated.
- Add spoonful of batter into your muffin cups by filling it about halfway.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 15 – 20 minutes, until your tester pick comes out clean.
- Remove on a cooling rack and leave to cool.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the butter and sugar to boiling point, add the sweetened condensed milk and whisk until it reaches a golden color, (this might take a while) remove from heat, add the vanilla essence and whisk through.
- Arrange muffins on a line of wax paper and drizzle toffee on top.