Even though the spring has finally sprung here in Joburg, I was kind of getting quite bored with the normal healthy salad and grilled chicken routine me and hubby found us in. Since our pledge to eat wholesome and healthy food, I have been craving a delicious, comforting and warm Beef Stew.
This recipe of Beef Stew Pot Pie was created out of pure luck, funny story actually.
As I prepared a beautiful wholesome pot of Beef Stew, I realized that I ran out of Basmati Rice. How disappointing!! I had to make a serious plan and thought to make pastry dough and create a Pot Pie instead. From there the Beef Stew got transformed into a hearty pie!
With delicious tender pieces of beef, perfectly cooked with carrots, celery and onion; a hint of chili and gorgeous fresh herbs – topped with a flaky pastry crust and smothered in rich gravy – this meal WON’T disappoint!
|Prep Time||30 min|
|Cook Time||2 hours|
- 15 ml olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic chopped fine
- 2 birds eye chili chopped fine
- 5 ml paprika
- 10 ml spice for meat
- 1 onion peeled and sliced
- 500 gr rump steak cut into cubes
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 carrots peeled and cut into rounds
- 1/2 celery stalk chopped
- fresh thyme
- fresh rosemary
- 1 packet brown onion instant soup
For the Filling
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour and salt.
- Add the butter in small pieces and rub the flour and butter with your fingertips until incorporated. It should resemble rough bread crumbs.
- Add the cream – which should also be chilled – and mix thoroughly with your hands. Roll the dough in a ball, cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil and sauté the garlic, chili, onions and spices – remove these ingredients from the pan and brown the beef cubes in left over oil.
- Cover the meat with stock water and add the sautéed ingredients with the meat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook covered on low heat for 1 ½ hours, until the meat is super tender. Keep checking that your stew has enough liquid covering the meat.
- Add the carrots, celery and herbs and cook for another 20 minutes until the carrots are soft.
- Add the brown onion soup powder, and mix thoroughly until the sauce thickens.
- In an oven proof dish, with a slotted spoon, add the beef and a few pieces of carrots in the dish, leaving the gravy and a few of the vegetables and herbs behind.
- Roll your chilled dough on a floured surface about 3mm thick and cover the top of the dish by rolling the dough over the dish.
- Use a smooth knife to cut the edges of the dough, and use leftover dough to make a frame for the dish.
- Brush with a whisked egg, make a cross incision in the dough, and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until the dough is golden brown.
- Sieve the leftover gravy through a fine sieve and discard the remains. You will be left with delicious, rich gravy that you can serve with this hearty pie.