Dinner. Dinner. Dinner. Oy vey. You can totally shout and scream, I get your frustration. I did however come to the simplest conclusion about dinner. It is NOT supposed to awake feelings of anxiety, right? Right.
Juggling life and an 8-5 job is surely one HUGE task. You have to run the household, literally from your desk. Luckily if you have a roll of puff pastry in the freezer, dinner is basically as good as DONE. Pick up a rotisserie chicken at the supermarket on your way home to save EXTRA time. It literally is putting it all together as quick as pie.
So here is the thing. Dinner, shouldn’t be an issue. I’m here, with an easy weekday dinner recipe, you’ll want to make over and over again. So breathe. Print this one and keep it close to your heart.
When I think of an easy dinner, four steps of prep is more than enough. Two pans or pots is acceptable, nothing more. A recipe that makes your leftovers the star of the show. And that tastes bloody delicious and fills the tummies with goodness.
An easy weekday Chicken, Leek and Mushroom Pot Pie. That is about right, yes?
Grab that puff pastry from the freezer (because everyone needs to keep a roll of pastry in their freezer!) Nab the stacks of tupperware from the fridge, shred your leftover chicken and saute it with finely chopped onion, leeks, mushrooms, garlic and chili. Add cream and reduce. Top it with pastry and bake. Boom, dinner is served.
You are welcome!
And just to keep those anxiety levels at bay, this Honey and Soy Chicken Strips with Dirty Couscous is a great chicken dinner idea. Or if you have a few stale looking buns floating around, you will love this Easy Spicy Chicken Subs with Parsley Butter and of course a Creamy Chicken and Rice Bowl recipe will also not disappoint.
How is your feels about weekday dinners? Drop a comment below and let’s chat!
|Prep Time||15 min|
|Cook Time||20 min|
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 cup leeks finely diced
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground chili flakes
- 2 cups mushrooms finely diced
- 1 cup fresh cream
- fresh thyme to season
- salt and black pepper to season
- 3 cups shredded, cooked chicken from leftovers
- 1 roll thawed, puff pastry only half will be used
- 1 large egg whisked
- In a saucepan, heat the butter and olive oil.
- Add the onion, leeks, garlic and chili and saute for a few minutes on medium heat until translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until it releases moisture. Add the herbs and seasoning.
- Next, add the cream, and turn up the heat and allow to reduce. Add the chicken and mix through. Set aside.
- On a clean surface dusted with flour, roll the pastry out and cut out discs for individual pies or cut a piece big enough to cover the filling in a flat, oven safe pie dish.
- Transfer the filling into desired baking dish, cover with pastry and brush with whisked egg.
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 20 min or until golden brown.
Simply freeze the rest of the unused puff pastry.
For a vegetarian version, simply replace the chicken with chopped carrots and zucchini.
This is a ransom note….
Deposit two Chicken Pot pies in my mail box by noon, or Ill never ever visit your site again…. OMgeeeeee these look amazing. Thank you