I really enjoy working with fish, as it is such a versatile ingredient. However, I don’t have bags full of experience cooking up a seafood fiesta.
I tend to always choose something safer when entertaining, like chicken or beef. But these cereal crusted fish cakes however, is a fresh and healthy recipe to serve for lunch or dinner. It really is easy, and if your preparation is done before hand, you can whip this cereal crusted fish cakes up in a jiffy!
|Prep Time||20 min|
|Cook Time||15 min|
- 5 haddock fish fillets
- 15 ml olive oil
- 1 red onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 birds eye chili chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger grated
- 2 slices brown bread left in a little milk
- 3 tablespoons parsley chopped
- 3 tablespoons fennel leaves chopped
- 3 tablespoons chives chopped
- salt and black pepper to season
- 1 large egg whisked
- 2 cups corn flake cereal
- In a saucepan, heat some of the olive oil and pan fry the fish until done. Remove from pan, leave to cool and shred with a fork. Season.
- Heat the rest of the oil in the same pan and sauté the onion, garlic, chili and ginger. Remove from pan to cool down.
- In a mixing bowl combine the shredded fish, onions, bread and herbs. Season with salt and pepper.
- Using your hands, mix the fish with the ingredients until incorporated. Roll small balls and press flat.
- In a food processor, blend the cereal until crumbed.
- Dip the fish cakes into the egg and roll in crumbs.
- Lay flat on greased baking tray, and bake for 15 minutes until brown and crispy or shallow fry in oil for 5 minutes each side.
Share this Recipe