Yes, it is soup season in the south. I have to just say how particularly blessed we are here in South Africa. We must have some of the most amazing summers on earth and with only about three months of winter, there is nowhere else I would rather be…
To kick start your winter soup recipe collection, I thought I would entice you with this very easy and mouthwatering Minestrone Soup recipe. Originally from Italian origin, it has become a winner in all soup recipe books.
This version of mine consist of a flavoursome tomato base, with tender cooked veggies such as green beans, butternut, carrots, celery and baby spinach. It is served with crispy fried onions and grated parmesan, adding a bit of extra taste. The original recipe usually asks for pasta or rice, but I decided, since I am banting, to keep this recipe completely carb free. Yes. The pleasure is all mine.
Oh, and, my soup was made especially in an amazing BEKA 24cm Stainless Steel Casserole pot, generously donated by the incredible peeps from Boardmans. See?
Yes guys, Boardmans now have this incredible BEKA cookware in stores, a leading kitchen utensil brand in France. They are multi-purpose, durable and environmentally friendly, the brand’s mission is to make cooking – and of course everyday life – easier. And let me tell you, it really is a delight in the kitchen. I even used it for two different dishes in a row. Of course I washed it first….
I hope you get to give this one a try. This recipe should be enough for four people as a main meal. I have loads of soup for the rest of the week’s lunch. Score! Just freeze your portions and grab one as you go out in the morning. Perfect winter warmer. Oh, and do yourself a favor and check out these amazing cookware exclusively stocked by Boardmans. Cheers!
|Prep Time||15 min|
|Cook Time||40 min|
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 baby leeks chopped
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 2 cans chopped and peeled tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons tomato puree
- salt and black pepper to season
- 1 small butternut peeled and chopped
- 1 cup green beans chopped
- 3 large carrots roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion sliced into rings
- 2 cups baby spinach washed
- 1 cup grated parmesan to serve
- fresh basil to serve
- crispy bread to serve
- First off, heat the butter in your BEKA casserole pot, and sauté the onion, garlic, celery and leeks until translucent.
- Add the tins of tomatoes, stock and puree and mix through.
- Add the vegetables, season and bring to a boil. Simmer for 40 minutes covered.
- Meanwhile in a saucepan, heat the next lot of butter and fry the onion until crispy, dark and caramelized.
- Lastly, before serving, add the spinach to the soup and mix. Serve hot with parmesan, onions, fresh basil and bread.