Can we just take a moment and marvel in the fact that it’s weekend? Awesome. Because I’ve been on a slow go this last week since it’s school holidays and I need to entertain a six year old boy. All. Day.
With all of the play dates, Lego building, finger skating and mine craft playing I was about done when it was Thursday already. I haven’t forgotten about you, my loyal reader, in between all the madness and I was quickly summoned to the kitchen by my ever curious mind and need for something totally indulging.
Introducing Mocha, Caramel and Coconut Swiss Roll – literally whipped together with what I had in the pantry. Let’s have a look…
Caramel and Coconut. I mean. Am I too obsessed with this combo?
Because a few weeks ago I made these incredible Ginger, Coconut and Caramel Bars and now I can’t seem to think of anything else.
There is coffee, chocolate, caramel, coconut and toasted almonds all combined in this easy to bake swiss roll.
You can leave the coffee out if you’re not keen on the mocha flavor, and add extra cocoa powder to the batter if you like a dark chocolate bake.
The rest is pretty standard – the usual cooked tin of condensed milk (like, the best thing ever, still) milk chocolate, desiccated coconut and toasted almonds engulfed in a mocha sponge.
Best of all – it only bakes 10 minutes!!! So go on then….
|Prep Time||15 min|
|Cook Time||10 min|
- 4 large eggs separated
- 1 cup castor sugar
- 50 ml instant coffee dissolved in water
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 50 ml cocoa powder
- pinch salt with egg whites
- 5 ml vanilla essence
- 1 tin cooked condensed milk
- 100 gr chocolate bar melted
- 1 cup dessicated coconut
- 1 cup almonds toasted
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Prepare a rectangular baking tray with non stick spray, line with baking paper and grease it as well.
- In an electric mixer beat the egg yolks, castor sugar and coffee until thick - about three minutes.
- Sieve the flour and cocoa powder in a small mixing bowl and set aside.
- Next, beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until soft peaks form.
- Gradually incorporate the flour and egg white with the yolk/sugar/coffee batter by adding a little of each at a time and folding it into the batter with a dessert spoon. Add the vanilla essence and mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking tray and spread out. It might look like too little batter, but it does rise well so you'll need to spread it out evenly.
- Bake for 10 min at 200 degrees Celsius - with the oven rack in the middle.
- While the swiss roll is baking, prepare a damp tea towel and cover with sugar and half the desiccated coconut.
- As the swiss roll comes out the oven, flip it onto the damp towel and carefully remove the baking paper.
- Spread the cake with cooked condensed milk and sprinkle the other half of the coconut over.
- Work quickly, and roll the cake from one side using the tea towel to guide you. Leave to cool.
- To serve, simply melt the chocolate over a double boiler and drizzle over cake. Top with toasted almonds.
When baking a swiss roll, the key is to work fast as it comes out the oven.
It is best to fill and roll it while it is still hot.