This Vegan Lentil and Roasted Veg Bobotie brings home the delicious comforting flavours of a South African Bobotie. It’s one of my most favourite comforting, plant-based meals and SO easy to make. No surprise that I have a few portions in the freezer as we (I) speak (type).
South African style Vegan Bobotie
Delicious roasted vegetables, lentils and spinach gets spiced up with garam masala, cardamom, turmeric and cumin. And best of all – An amazing vegan “egg custard” gets poured over, and baked to perfection, much like the original version.
Plant Based Lentil and Veg Bobotie
If you know me, then you will know how much I love being in the kitchen. Even when I just cook plant based for myself, it really is a therapeutic experience. Mostly, I love it because it’s so satisfying to know that I am nourishing myself with good food. And, planning a little ahead.
Easy Make Ahead Vegan Bobotie
Make this Vegan Lentil and Roasted Veg Bobotie in bulk to freeze in portions. It has been a huge lifesaver on many occasions when I had a rushed day. And, this meal goes perfect as a meal prep addition to your feast table.
Scroll down for the recipe, inspired by a version in the Fresh Living Mag – Enjoy!
Easy Vegan and Plant Based Recipes to try:
Vegan Cottage Pie
Vegan Cauliflower and Broccoli Cheese Bake
Easy Beetroot Falafel Veggie Bowl
Vegan Strawberry and Rhubarb Oat Nut Crumble
Vegan Beetroot, Pumpkin and Walnut Bread
|Prep Time||20 min|
|Cook Time||60 min|
- 700 gr roasting vegetables butternut, sweet potato, zucchini
- 15 ml olive oil
- 15 ml curry powder or garam masala
- salt and pepper to season
- 1 can lentils in brine drained and rinsed
- handful baby spinach
- 15 ml olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 5 cm fresh ginger grated
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 5 ml cumin
- 5 ml turmeric
- 5 ml cardamom
- 5 ml chili powder
- 250 ml chickpea flour also known as chana flour
- 60 ml fruit chutney
- 125 ml water
- 1/2 can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 4 bay leaves
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
Vegan Bobotie Topping
- Place the roasting veggies in a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil, curry powder and seasoning.
- Roast the veggies in a preheated oven -at 190 degrees Celsius for about 40 minutes, or until soft.
- Add the lentils and fresh spinach and mix through the veggies.
- Next, heat the olive oil in a small saucepan and saute the onion and garlic until soft. Add the ginger and spices and cook until fragrant.
- Mix the sauteed onions with the veggies and lentils, combining it all in an oven safe casserole dish.
- For the bobotie topping, simply mix all the ingredients until combined and pour over the veg/lentil mix. Add the bay leaves and scatter over the sunflower seeds.
- Bake in the oven, still at 190 degrees C, for 20 - 25 minutes, until the topping is golden and set. Enjoy!