This Sweet Potato and Couscous Veggie Bowl is my new favourite. It’s no surprise that I love veggies. I’ve been going on and on about my love affair since forever. I am even more intrigued by the versatility of vegetables than ever before.
Switching to a mostly Plant Based diet
It has been a hard process cutting out meat. You can read about our initial switch here and here. Good advice would be to take it easy, make sustainable choices and take it one day at a time.
Once you researched as much as possible you can start to explore all the amazing plant based options out there. Try and get used to the fact that you need to manage your time way more efficiently and meal planning and prepping is crucial.
How to Make a Vegan Veggie Bowl
Today’s recipe is such a versatile concept. Veggie bowls aren’t new, but we’ve seen it jump straight up on the trend scale that we simply have to explore it more closely.
It is all about “eating the rainbow” and your bowl can include as many types of veggies as you like. Whatever you choose to put into your bowl, you will feel great and you will nourish your body like you won’t believe.
Most important, choose real and whole ingredients with minimal processing and make a conscious effort to know what you put in your body.
Bowl yourself over.
Make sure you prep your ingredients beforehand – that’s what your Sunday is for people. I decided to make my veggie bowl with spicy maple roasted sweet potato wedges, a couscous and spinach pilau, tomato salsa and a gorgeous avocado rose.
If you need more Sweet Potato recipe inspiration, have a look at this roundup I did a couple of weeks ago – I’m sure we can make them vegan! Have a great week!
|Prep Time||10 min|
|Cook Time||40 min|
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and sliced into wedges
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Moroccan spice
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons crushed garlic
- 2 cups baby spinach washed
- 1 cup cooked couscous
- 2 tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 avocado halved
- Heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius, place the sweet potato wedges in an oven safe baking tray.
- Drizzle with olive oil, spices and maple syrup. Roast until tender for 40 minutes.
- In a saucepan, heat the next bit of olive oil and saute the onion and garlic until translucent.
- Add the spinach and cook until wilted. Add the cooked couscous and mix through in the pan. Remove and set aside.
- Cut the tomatoes fine and mix with the chili flakes. Set aside.
- Place each half of avocado facing down (pit side down) and slice fine lengthwise. Use your fingers to lengthen the avo into a long line, working from on end - through the middle - to the other end. Roll the avo from one end into a circle, making a shape of a rose.
- Build your veggie bowl by adding sweet potato wedges, couscous and spinach pilau, tomato salsa and your avo rose. Top with a squeeze of fresh lime juice and serve.