I have been wanting to make this dish for ages now. Finally got to it after scouring the fridge for something to have for lunch. I’m happy to say, that this Butternut and Onion Au Gratin tastes incredible!
It consists of thinly sliced butternut and red onion, drenched in a sauce made out of cream, vegetable stock, parmesan cheese, loads of black pepper and fresh thyme.
It is topped with more cheese and baked in the oven until perfectly done – the cheese and thick cream, creating an irresistible ‘crumbed’ topping.
The best part of this dish is that it is so easy, the perfect low carb/banting side dish to any meat roast or braai AND absolutely mouthwatering.
And there you have it. A real simple, wholesome side dish to your weekend festivities. I hope you caught my Chocolate Covered Snickerdoodles yesterday, it is the perfect, fuss free treat for Valentines Day! Enjoy!
|Prep Time||10 min|
|Cook Time||50 min|
- 1 butternut peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 red onion peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup double thick cream
- 2 tablespoons vegetable stock concentrate
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- few sprigs fresh thyme stalks removed
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan for topping
- salt to season
- fresh thyme to serve
- First off, in an oven safe baking dish, arrange the butternut and onion slices.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cream, vegetable stock, parmesan, thyme and black pepper.
- Pour over the raw vegetables.
- Bake for 40 – 50 minutes at 200 degrees Celsius, until the cream is bubbly and the topping is brown and crispy.
- Season with salt and serve with fresh thyme.