If you are looking for a filling yet nourishing soup recipe, this Butternut and Turmeric Glow Soup, is the one for you. With the cooler weather approaching here in the South, comforting and hearty bowls are on the order of the day. Soup is definitely a great way to get a whole bunch of goodness down. It can be packed full of veggies, ethical slow cooked meats and nourishing, active ingredients to maintain the glow…
Butternut Soup Revamped
I love a good Butternut Soup and this recipe does not disappoint. You can use a basic butternut soup recipe, and add your favourite flavours through adding spices, chili, other veggies and active ingredients for added benefits.
This recipe consists of slow cooked butternut chunks in coconut milk, with fresh turmeric and ginger. Kicking things up in the flavour department, I added a small bird’s eye chili with nutmeg and pinch of cinnamon. The fresh turmeric is the star here, adding that familiar pungent, deep flavour.
A Healthy Dose of Soup
Nutrition wise, this Butternut and Turmeric Glow Soup is as good as it gets. Butternut is not only low in fat, but promises to deliver an ample amount of dietary fibre, which is great for our heart. It has high levels of potassium and Vit B6, promoting bone health and proper functioning of the immune and nervous systems. A great nutritious recipe with fresh turmeric, is this Tropical Turmeric and Coconut Lassi, where I marvel about the health benefits of this ingredient.
Get the Turmeric Glow
Largely due to the active ingredient, curcumin, Turmeric is a great antioxidant and inflammation fighter. Definitely an ingredient to utilise more when we hit the winter months, to keep our immune systems happy and healthy. Even more reasons to use this versatile ingredient in this wholesome soup recipe.
Soup for Supper
I love bulking up when I cook soup. It can freeze pretty effortlessly and is such an easy and quick go-to meal when you have life commitments taking up most of your time. And yes, time we don’t have much of, do we? Check out these easy, simple, nourishing and delicious soup recipes you can try out next:
Roasted Vegetable and Coconut Milk Soup
Roasted Sweet Pepper and Tomato Soup
Minestrone and Zucchini Noodle Soup
|Prep Time||15 min|
|Cook Time||45 min|
- 15 ml olive oil
- 1 small brown onion finely sliced
- 5 cm freshly grated ginger
- 5 cm freshly grated turmeric or 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 small bird eye chili finely chopped
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 medium butternuts or 4 cups of chopped butternut
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup toasted coconut flakes to serve
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk/cream to serve
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium sized saucepan, heat the olive oil and saute the onion, turmeric, ginger and chili for a few minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and vegetable stock, bring to a simmer.
- Add the butternut chunks and simmer on medium heat for 40 minutes until soft. Add the rest of the spices and seasoning.
- Carefully transfer the soup to a blender or use your hand blender to blend until smooth.
- Serve with toasted coconut flakes and a swirl of coconut milk or cream.