Summer calls for delicious, fresh and healthy food. Only fitting to share a flavoursome Chicken Teriyaki Salad recipe with you all today. Fuss-free and easy dining with a family style sharing salad, perfect for those hot and humid days.
Teriyaki sauce (often a mixture of soy, mirin, ginger and sugar) is a basic Asian marinade or seasoning combination. You can either choose to marinade your chicken breast fillets in the sauce, or use it after you grilled your fillets halfway. The sauce can be added to the pan and the chicken finished off in this sweet and sticky glaze.
You can also marinade your veggies or raw salads in this flavoursome sauce for a great umami hit.
Chicken Salad for the Family
This recipe came about as I was pondering what to cook for the caveman for dinner. If you followed me for a while you would know by now what a mission it is to cook for my loving family. I am crazy about fresh, healthy and plant-based food. However, my better half has a love-hate relationship with anything green. It dawned on me that if I don’t cook a proper (healthier) meaty meal for him, he will never get the proper nutrition he needs. Sorry baby, you have been dissed.
Not just a Chicken Salad
I decided to serve my chicken teriyaki fillets with a fresh and crisp slaw. I used baby cabbage, finely sliced carrots, spring onion, sugar snap peas, fresh apple, and coriander. This recipe is low carb and high in protein to keep your energy levels up. It also tastes amazing, so yes, this is not your usual chicken salad.
I have loads of fresh and healthy low carb chicken dinner ideas, so have a look through these options if you are stuck in a rut.
Crispy Chicken in Creamy Mushroom Sauce with Cauliflower Mash
Pesto Chicken with Brown Mushrooms on Zucchini Noodles
Crustless Chicken, Bacon and Mushroom Quiche
Creamy Chicken, Leeks and Mushrooms
|Prep Time||10 min|
|Cook Time||15 min|
- 2 chicken breast fillets
- salt and pepper to season
- 10 ml olive oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 30 ml red wine vinegar
- 5 cm fresh ginger grated
- pinch chili flakes
- 2 large carrots peeled and roughly grated
- 1 large apple cut into fine matchsticks
- 4 spring onions finely chopped
- 1 baby cabbage shredded
- 1 cup sugar snap peas
- handful coriander finely chopped
- 10 ml sesame oil
- sesame seeds to garnish
- Season the chicken breast fillets and pound it a little with your meat hammer.
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and fry the chicken breast fillets a few minutes each side until brown.
- In the meantime combine the sauce ingredients (soy sauce, honey, vinegar, ginger, and chili flakes) in a small mixing bowl and whisk.
- Pour the sauce in the hot saucepan, allow the sauce to reduce and to get thick and sticky. Turn the chicken breast fillets every now and then until they are cooked through.
- Once the chicken are cooked, set aside and assemble the slaw by adding the fresh ingredients in a salad bowl and tossing it with sesame oil.
- To serve, slice the chicken breast fillets and arrange it on the fresh slaw - pour the rest of the cooking juices over the salad, garnish with sesame seeds and serve with fresh lemon and coriander.