Come dinner time the thought of feeding the family might bring forth feelings of anxiety and general irritation. Right? Sure, you might have all your ducks in a row this week and have meals prepared and planned for the family. However, if your week seems to just run away from you, I thought of sharing this super easy, filling and delicious Crustless Chicken, Bacon and Mushroom Quiche with you all today.
How to Make a Crustless Chicken, Bacon and Mushroom Quiche
I don’t think there is any other fuss-free meal as easy as Quiche. The thing I love most about it is that you can easily use leftover meats and vegetables. It is so versatile, that there really are no limits as to what ingredients you can use. It also feeds a crowd and me for one am very happy about the fact that it can pretty much fill lunchboxes to the rim.
The Base Wet Ingredients for a Quiche
I always use the following ratio for my quiche base:
3 large, free-range eggs
1 cup milk/cream/dairy free milk
2 cups good quality cheddar or gouda cheese.
Ditch the Crust
I know, I know, we all love a buttery, flaky, crispy quiche crust. You can totally go that route for sure, and I recommend using this recipe for a delectable crusty quiche. I am more inclined to keep mine crustless, only for the reason that I wanted a low carb, high protein dinner for the meat eaters.
Love your Leftovers
A motto I live by and ensuring no food waste – I use leftover roast chicken for most of my quiche recipes. Add your fried mushrooms, onion, garlic and crispy bacon with the base of your quiche and you are sorted. Or use your leftover roast veggies, for a nourishing vegetarian quiche.
Check out my very nifty roundup – 40 Easy Weekday Dinner Ideas – happy cooking!
|Prep Time||10 min|
|Cook Time||1 hour|
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 large brown onion finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons crushed garlic
- 2 birds eye chili finely chopped
- 250 gr button mushrooms
- 10 ml fresh thyme leaves
- 250 gr nitrate free bacon diced
- 250 gr shredded chicken from leftover roast chicken or rotisserie chicken
- 5 ml dried mixed herbs
- 3 large free range eggs
- 1 cup milk/cream
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- crumbled feta cheese to serve
- Heat the oil and saute the onion, garlic, and chili until translucent in a large saucepan. Remove from the heat, and transfer the onion to a mixing bowl.
- In the same pan, fry off the mushrooms and thyme until the water has cooked out. Remove the mushrooms from the pan and transfer it to your mixing bowl with the onion.
- Then, in the same pan again, fry the bacon until crispy. Transfer the bacon to the mixing bowl as well.
- If you have a rotisserie chicken or leftover roast chicken, measure about 1 cup of shredded chicken and transfer it to the mixing bowl as well. Add the dried herbs and set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, combine the eggs, milk and cheese.
- Mix the wet ingredients with the fried ingredients and top off with more cheese if you so wish.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the quiche is set. Top with crumbled feta cheese and enjoy with a side of green salad.