With summer waving goodbye over the horizon, in the distance lays the apprehension of another approaching winter. The brown and yellow leaves are slowly but surely piling up in the gutters on the street. So you could say that it’s officially autumn here in South Africa.
This triggers a host of pure emotional feelings that can be a potential problem, for me at least…
I get cold and want to cuddle all day.
I want to be warm inside so I eat warm and delicious food.
I want to have more of the warm and delicious food.
I want to watch tv all day, cuddle and eat warm and delicious food.
Despite those potential problems, another challenge might be to find time to cook the warm and delicious food. I know your dilemma, that is why this meal of Chicken with Tomato and Chorizo Sauce will be making its appearance most regularly at dinnertime.
The couscous just soaks up the spicy sauce and the avocado gives the perfect amount of creaminess to the dish. You can serve it with cauliflower couscous if you would like a carb free meal. No matter which way, this one is most certainly a winner and the perfect autumn meal.
Doesn’t this just look as comforting and delicious as can be? This sauce is particularly great as the smokey chorizo sausage adds amazing flavor. And I just love chorizo – I used it in this easy Chorizo and Sweet Potato Wraps with Mint and Yoghurt dressing a few weeks back. I can imagine it will go well with literally anything you serve. What do you think?
|Prep Time||5 min|
|Cook Time||25 min|
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 15 ml olive oil
- 4 chicken breast fillets halved lengthwise
- salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chicken spice
- 15 ml olive oil
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 bird eye chili finely chopped
- 2 cups chorizo sausages chopped
- 1 can chopped and peeled tomato
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1/2 cup concentrated beef stock
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups cooked couscous
- handful chopped parsley
- 1 avocado to serve
- First off, heat the butter and olive oil in a sauce pan and fry the chicken breast fillets on each side until done.
- Season with salt and black pepper or, chicken spice if you prefer.
- Set aside.
- Heat the next bit of olive oil in a saucepan and on high heat saute the onion, garlic, chilli and chorizo until caramelized.
- Turn the heat down halfway and add the tinned tomato, puree, stock and sugar. Simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Slice the chicken cooked chicken breasts in slices and arrange on couscous with tomato and chorizo sauce, freshly chopped parsley and avocado.