It has been so hot here in South Africa, I hope all my fellow countrymen are looking after themselves and staying hydrated this summer. One thing is for sure, my oven hasn’t been on in like a week. Sure, I’ve been on holiday for the last month and we’ve spent most of our time with family and friends – braaing and indulging in delicious salads. Still, I can’t even get myself to cook anything in this heat.
But, we still need to eat and if you might find yourself scouring the blogs for a simple breakfast, snack or lunchbox idea these Corn and Chive Pancakes will do the trick.
It is a simple and light meal, and can be enjoyed with maple glazed bacon or a poached egg. I decided to serve my savoury pancakes with black pepper creme fraiche – as this peppery creamy addition goes so well with the spicy pancake.
You will only need one pan and one plate on the stove. The only hot thing to come out of this mission is the kick from the chilli…
I loved this recipe and it is great to have on hand when you are faced with leftovers from a braai, like corn. I used three cooked cobs after our braai and simply cut the kernels from it. You can also add crispy bacon or basil pesto to the batter, even a little cheese can work well. I hope you give it a try before the hectic school year starts. And, good luck with that…
|Prep Time||10 min|
|Cook Time||15 min|
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels
- handful chopped chives
- handful chopped parsley
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup creme fraiche
- black pepper to season
- In a mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients - flour, baking powder, seasoning, herbs and the corn kernels.
- In another mixing bowl whisk the milk, butter, oil and egg until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and mix until incorporated. Don’t over mix.
- Heat a nonstick pan on medium heat and scoop round disks of pancake batter into the pan.
- Allow the pancakes to cook until bubbles start to form on the top. Flip over and allow to cook for another minute. Place on paper towel.
- Combine the black pepper with the creme fraiche and serve with hot savoury pancakes.