A few weeks ago one of my husband’s colleagues sent over a plastic bag full of lemons. I mean a lot of lemons.
At that stage I was too busy to think of a solution for all these lovely yellow lemons that filled the entire fruit bowl on my kitchen counter. Slowly I began using them for the odd roasted chicken here and rooibos tea and honey there, and tucked behind everything else that was going on in my head was the reminder that I had to do something other than finishing them all in my tea…
I wanted to do something for you sweet tooth’s out there, and since I am not very fond at baking cakes or muffins that requires flour and baking powder, I settled for a very zesty and dreamy homemade Lemon Cream Cookie.
I used this easy Soetkoekie recipe (because no one can mess that up, not even me) that was part of last year’s December holiday baking on my blog, and added lemon zest and fresh lemon juice to the buttery cookie dough. It turned out pretty great, and filled with a sweet and tangy lemon buttercream icing I quickly had to keep small dirty little toddler fingers out the plate as I was styling and photographing these creamy lemony beauties.
These dreamy, creamy Lemon Cream cookies was a big hit in my house and hubby took a whole tin back to his office were they were quickly devoured! Keep it in an airtight container, and indulge in a zesty teatime treat or wrap it up and enjoy the gift of giving something homemade (and edible) to a special friend! Believe me; you will thank me for it! What’s your favorite cookie, drop a comment below and let’s chat!
|Prep Time||30 min|
|Cook Time||10 min|
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius, and prepare a baking tray with nonstick spray.
- In a mixing bowl, sift al the dry ingredients together, then add the butter, vanilla, egg and lemon flavorings and work it through with your hands. Keep working the dough until you are left with glossy smooth dough.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Prepare the filling by mixing the butter, icing sugar and lemon flavoring in an electric mixer until fluffy, add lemon juice / more icing sugar until you get the desired spreadable consistency.
- I used an amazing old style cookie press, but you can roll the dough out and use cookie cutters instead, by using a little extra flour for rolling.
- Press the cookies onto the baking tray and bake for 10 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius. My cookies baked until just colored, please keep checking yours as oven temperatures may vary.
- Let them cool, spread with filling and assemble your Lemon Cream sandwiches with as much filling as you want!