It was as normal a morning as any as I overslept, leaped out of bed to get dressed and got the little monster ready for school.
I will just tell you straight… I am NOT a morning person at all. I will literally sleep until the very last minute if I can. I normally don’t care for the crazy chaos that follows after that, but I really don’t care. My bed is bliss…
Ok, back to the recipe… so as I was rushing through the morning, and as I got back home after the trip to the school, I was starving – as usual – because there is no time to eat breakfast in this house before 8:00.
I have also been trying to not-eat-as-many-carbs as before, so normally my breakfast will be fluffy scrambled egg with chilli. But this particular day, I was feeling creative with my breakfast and started pillaging the fridge for any “quiche” like ingredients.
So this is what I found to go with my cheese and egg base quiche: sundried tomato, hickory ham, peas and corn, onion, garlic, fresh basil, feta cheese.
Oh yes! My belly was feeling excited!
These mini Quiches have no crust, don’t contain any flour – so yes you can say that it is low carb, although not completely carb free.
You can really add any ingredients you have on hand to your quiche, like leftover roast chicken, mushrooms and other fresh herbs. It is really quick and you can freeze these mini quiches for breakfast for one of those rushed mornings, the ones that I have every single day…
They were best eaten the very moment they came out the oven, if you like getting your mouth toasted with that. I instinctively reached for the bottle of balsamic vinegar for a few drops of goodness on my hot mini quiches – and let me tell you – it is hard not to have it ALL. Serve these easy to make mini Quiches for tea or as a healthy lunch served with salads or fresh seasonal veggies. Remember green is good! Enjoy!
|Prep Time||15 min|
|Cook Time||20 min|
- 15 ml olive oil
- 1 onion peeled and chopped fine
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 1/2 cup peas
- 4 slices hickory ham
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes chopped
- handful fresh basil chopped
- salt and black pepper to season
- 4 large eggs whisked
- 2 handfuls grated cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cups milk
- 1 wheel feta cheese
- handful sprouts to garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and sauté the onion and garlic until translucent. Add the peas and corn, and sauté some more.
- Add the ham, tomatoes, herbs and seasoning and mix through. Remove from heat.
- Add the eggs, the cheese and milk and give the whole shebang a good mix through.
- Now add spoonful of filling into the muffin pans, filling it up to about ¾ of the way. Crumb with feta cheese, bake in the oven at 180 degrees Celsius until set and golden. Garnish with sprouts and serve.