Trying to find the words to describe how amazing my mother is, is really hard. It shouldn’t be though, because you know, she is amazing. Each year, as this special day closes in on us, I can’t help getting a little emotional when I think of her.
I am lucky to still have her in my life. Through the years she has been a constant pillar of support, someone to look up to, someone who cares immensely for our well being, a woman with amazing talents and with unconditional love for her children. She really has shaped my life and in a way my personality too. She always adored us for who we were, without much judgment.
But I realized that as much as she has always been there for us, this responsibility is slowly switching sides as time goes by. Her children are now becoming HER pillar of strength, HER support system and we are now bound by this unconditional love to care for HER in every way possible as she gets older. And what a privilege it is…
For Mother’s Day this year I decided to post a lovely Mother’s day Brunch recipe. Treat your mom with a mouthwatering Blueberry, Muesli and Yoghurt Parfait made with frozen blueberries, crunchy muesli and any flavoured yoghurt of your choice. Simply layer the ingredients in a pretty glass and serve.
Follow the first course with buttery Croissants topped with Scrambled Egg, Crispy Bacon, Mature Cheddar and Balsamic Roasted Tomatoes, and, no Mother’s Day would be complete without a sweet treat – I would highly recommend whipping up a batch of these amazing Choc Chip Banana Muffins to enjoy with a cup of hot steaming coffee.
I hope you get to spend an amazing day with your Mom this Mother’s Day. Be sure to spoil her rotten. If you feel like baking something special for mom this year, why not try my Granadilla Cake I did for Mother’s Day last year. Be sure to have a tissue ready when you read that post!
|Prep Time||20 min|
|Cook Time||15 min|
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 2 cups muesli any kind you like
- 2 cups berry yoghurt
- fresh blueberries to garnish
- 4 fresh croissants store bought
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 large eggs whisked
- salt and black pepper to season
- 125 gr streaky bacon
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- drizzle olive oil
- 1 cup grated mature cheddar cheese
- micro greens to garnish
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 2 large eggs
- 5 ml vanilla essence
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pinch ground cinnamon
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- Blend the frozen blueberries with some of the yogurt in a blender.
- Layer the blended ingredients with the muesli in a pretty glass and serve with fresh blueberries.
- Half each croissant, and place under the grill on an oven tray until crispy. Set aside.
- Heat the butter in a saucepan and scramble the egg, season with salt and black pepper.
- Fry the bacon until crispy.
- Arrange the tomatoes in a baking tray, cover with balsamic and drizzle with olive oil – grill in the oven until the tomatoes break open. Remove and set aside.
- To assemble: Place the croissants on a plate, top with scrambled egg and crispy bacon. Arrange the tomatoes and top with grated mature cheddar and micro herbs.
- In an electric mixing bowl, beat the sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one by one, mix until incorporated.
- Add the essence, mashed banana and yogurt. Mix through on low speed.
- Add the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Beat until incorporated. Add the choc chips and mix it through.
- Scoop the batter in a muffin tin and bake for 15 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius.