After a weekend of eating out and indulging in chocolaty treats, my hubby phoned me up and made it clear that any carbs (and chocolates) are taboo for the next few weeks. What a bummer… However, I was quite pleased with the way that this recipe turned out. I can just feel the pounds dropping off!
This delicious and fresh chicken salad recipe is the easiest way to have a healthy and summery dinner ready for your family.
It consists of tasty tender chicken strips, marinated in a balsamic and garlic marinade, grilled and tossed through a mix of greens, cheddar cheese and tomato – topped with fresh sprouts.
You are probably thinking that a bowl of Mac & Cheese are what you are craving for – it was a hard and long winter – and getting back on track to a healthy eating and exercising regime might seem bleak.
But let me tell you, that this bowl of Rustic Chicken Salad with Sprouts are just the meal to kick start your butt into action. Not only is it delicious – it is also nutritious and low on carbs!
|Prep Time||30 min|
|Cook Time||10 min|
- 2 chicken breast fillets cut into strips
- 15 ml balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic minced
- salt and black pepper to season
- 15 ml oive oil
- half cucumber roughly chopped
- 2 tomatoes roughly chopped
- 2 cups cos lettuce shredded
- few leaves fresh basil
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese cut into small cubes
- 1 cup sprouts
- Marinate the chicken strips by using a plastic sealed bag; add the chicken, balsamic vinegar, garlic and salt and pepper – refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- After the chicken cooled down, heat the olive oil in a wok or saucepan and add the chicken strips, grill until done. Remove from heat and leave to cool.
- In a salad bowl, combine the lettuce, cucumber, tomato, basil, cheese and add the cooled chicken.
- Top the salad with handfuls of sprouts and season with more black pepper.