I just love itsy bitsy pieces of deliciousness. Everything just looks better and even tastes better (only in my mind) when it is created as a little bite size portion of the whole. This recipe of Mini Spinach and Cheddar Tartlets is another one of those wonderfully tasty mini bites that can be easily transformed into a grand dinner idea.
Two in one! Spinach and Cheddar Tartlets are a great party snack and an instant wholesome dinner for the whole family.
It consists of a flavorsome garlic and chili combination, sautéed with chopped red onion, bits of smoky bacon and mixed with cooked spinach and smothered in a delicious creamy cheddar cheese and mustard sauce. Add this filling into the delectable buttery quiche pastry dough and bake in the oven for a great treat.
Wow, what a mouthful! Yeah, literally!
All you need to do to serve this delicious healthy meal to your family as a main is to use a family size quiche tin or oven safe dish, line the bottom with the lovely buttery quiche dough, add the filling and bake for 30 – 40 minutes. Serve it with spicy potato wedges or a green salad – HAPPINESS!
|Prep Time||15 min|
|Cook Time||15 min|
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 125 gr butter softnened
- 20 ml cold water
- 15 ml olive oil
- 1 red onion peeled and chopped fine
- 1 clove garlic peeled and chopped fine
- 1 birds eye chili finely chopped
- 200 gr bacon diced
- 500 gr cooked spinach
- 125 gr butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons wholegrain mustard
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated
- salt and black pepper to season
Easy Quiche Pastry
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix.
- Next add all the wet ingredients and work with your fingers until easy manageable dough is formed.
- Next line your tart or quich tin with dough by pushing it firmly down with your fingers
- In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil and sauté the onion, garlic and chili – remove from the pan into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the bacon and cook until crispy. Remove from heat and transfer the bacon to the mixing bowl with the sautéed ingredients.
- Shred the spinach and add this to the rest of the ingredients.
- In another saucepan, heat the butter until melted, remove from the heat and add the flour – whisk.
- Add the milk and heat it up again – whisking all the way – until your white sauce (béchamel sauce) has reached its required thickness. Add more milk if you need to.
- Remove from heat and add the mustard, cheese and salt and pepper. Mix.
- Add the béchamel sauce to the spinach and mix well.
- Line your oven safe dish or muffin pans with pastry dough, by pushing the dough firmly with your fingers.
- No need to blind bake or pre bake this pastry, simply add your filling in the raw crust and bake at the appropriate times.
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 10 – 15 minutes.