My new favourite way to clean out the fridge – Herb and Nut Crusted Salami, Spinach and Tomato Tarts! A bunch of awesome ingredients was leftover from a week or so worth of shoots.
So I had to come up with something really creative and tasty. Talk about the pressure of concocting and figuring out a “use everything you have” recipe. The result? These delicious, easy to make (ahem) Herb and Nut Crusted Salami, Spinach and Tomato Tarts!
See? These recipes don’t just happen to create themselves…
Easy to Make Salami, Spinach and Tomato Tarts
These little spruced up tomato tarts are perfect to have on hand to snack on. You guys know how much I love snacking right?
Not only are these morsels great to munch on to get you through the slump of the day – they are also exceptional as lunch or a light dinner.
And have I mentioned before how in love I am with the versatility of puff pastry? Pretty much a life saver in my eyes!
How To Make Herb and Nut Crusted Salami, Spinach and Tomato Tarts
Although it sounds like a (delicious) mouthful, all the ingredients combine into a tasty and appetising savoury snack.
First off, I wanted to play around with my puff pastry. So I chopped some peanuts and parsley, sprinkled it over the pastry and rolled it out. What I wanted to achieve was a little extra texture in the dough with a hint of nuttiness and the herbaceous flavour from the parsley. Yum!!
From the fringe came some leftover salami, spinach and cherry tomatoes. You can totally leave out the salami in this recipe to keep it vegetarian. Or simply replace it with any other cut of cold meat you might have on hand.
Finally combine your filling ingredients with mayonnaise and egg – and you are ready to roll.
Fill those puff pastry pastries and bake to perfection.
Don’t you think these little morsels are just perfect?
Easy To Make recipes for Entertaining
Bruschetta with Brown Mushrooms, Peppers and Coriander Pesto
Savoy Cabbage and Beef Bites with Tzatziki
Spicy Carrot Chips
Roasted Tomato and Onion Bruschetta
|Prep Time||10 min|
|Cook Time||20 min|
- 15 ml olive oil
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 8 slices salami
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 large eggs whisked
- salt and black pepper to season
- 1 roll puff pastry store bought
- flour for dusting
- handful peanuts chopped
- handful parsley chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes sliced
- sour cream to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and saute the onion and garlic. Chop the spinach and add it to the hot pan, allow to wilt and mix with onion and garlic. Remove from heat.
- Chop the salami fine and mix it with the sauteed ingredients.
- Add the mayonnaise, whisked egg and seasoning. Mix well and set aside.
- Dust a clean surface with flour and roll out the puff pastry. Sprinkle chopped peanuts and chopped parsley over the pastry and give it one more roll.
- Cut disks from the rolled out pastry and score them in a circle just off the edge of the disc. Add more peanuts and parsley to the edges if you like.
- Scoop the filling mixture into the middle of the pastry discs and top each spoonful off with a sliced cherry tomato.
- Bake in the oven at 180 degrees until the pastry is golden and filling is set – about 20min.
- Serve with sour cream.