If you don’t like muffins, we can’t be friends! Today’s recipe is all about the savoury muffin life. These Spinach, Cheddar and Basil muffins are super easy to make and the reason why I love them the most is LUNCHBOX FILLERS!
Goodness in a Muffin
There was so much spinach in my fridge that was bound to go down the next day, it was a good thing that I was craving a savoury muffin. I managed to calm down my anxiety as to what to fill the lunchboxes with the next day, as my grocery cupboard looked rather pathetic.
How To Make Spinach, Cheddar and Basil Muffins
Lovely good-for-you spinach, sweet fried onion, fresh basil and mature cheddar cheese make their appearance here, in this delicious muffin. I used all purpose flour in this recipe, you can sub with gluten-free flour if you are sensitive. Besides that, the addition of fresh basil in this recipe is pure magic…
Muffins for the Lunchbox
This recipe makes 12 perfectly flavourful Spinach, Cheddar and Basil muffins, so double up if you want to make extra. I did manage to pop 2 muffins in the freezer for the next day. I am happy to report that a few seconds in the microwave did the trick to thaw them, and they were delicious. Needless to say, these spinach muffins are great for lunchboxes as a quick snack.
Muffins for All
Finally, I hope you guys get to try some of my other (pretty darn delicious) muffins, go on and check them out!
Gluten Free Vegan Blueberry Muffins
Vegan Banana Choc Chip Muffins
Apple Cinnamon Crumble Muffins
Remember to catch me on Social Media @aninasrecipes. If you are trying out or cook a recipe, remember to tag me and share it with #aninasrecipes – I would LOVE to share all your creations!
|Prep Time||10 min|
|Cook Time||35 min|
- 1,5 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pinch chilli powder to season
- black pepper to season
- 1 brown onion finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil to fry onion
- 90 gr butter melted
- 1 large egg whisked
- 1 cup almond milk or normal milk
- 1 cup cooked spinach chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil chopped fine
- 1 cup mature cheddar cheese grated
- For the Dry Ingredients, use a medium-sized mixing bowl and combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and seasoning. Set aside.
- For the Wet Ingredients, first off heat the coconut oil and fry your chopped onion until sweet and translucent. Set Aside.
- Next, in a large mixing bowl, combine the butter, egg, milk, spinach, basil and fried onion. Add the cheese and combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and mix until JUST incorporated.
- In prepared muffin tins or liners, scoop the muffin batter in halfway through.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 30 - 35 minutes. Leave to cool and freeze for up to 2 months. Easily thaw it in the microwave.