When it’s finally weekend again I am going to be SO ready to kick my feet up and relax with these Vanilla, Lime and Mascarpone Whoopie Pies!
If you have little to no action planned for weekends, you might want to dust off your aprons and give your cobweb covered muffin tins a good clean. The little ones will love these fluffy vanilla whoopie pies!
What is a Whoopie Pie?
I first had to consult trusty google to find out if I might be stepping into the wrong direction here. The oracle put my mind to rest as indeed, you CAN make whoopie pies from just about any cookie, biscuit, muffin, pie or cake. Originally from the US, (thank you guys) whoopie pies are normally filled with a sweet creamy filling or frosting and consist of a baked cakey like exterior. Much like a cupcake with a filling in the middle…
How to make Vanilla, Mascarpone and Lime Whoopie Pies
So, these Vanilla Whoopie Pies are the EASIEST little treat for the family.
For the “pie” or cupcake element I used a basic vanilla cupcake recipe. Of course loads of fresh lime zest was added.
Lastly I cut the pies open and filled it with a creamy mascarpone cheese. You can use whipped cream or a cream cheese frosting to fill it. However, I found the mascarpone to be the perfect creamy addition as it’s not too sweet and overpowering.
My pro tip: There can never be enough lime.
Deliciously sweet and tangy, these little guys will be a big hit!
And if these zesty little morsels doesn’t shout SPRING and SUMMER, I don’t know what will get you in the mood.
More Cupcake recipes to try:
Orange and Dark Chocolate Cupcakes
Coconut Cupcakes for Father’s Day
Vanilla and Sticky Toffee Cupcakes
|Prep Time||10 min|
- 1,5 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 2 limes (zest) zest retained and added
- 1/2 cup full cream milk
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- 2 limes (juice) juices added to cheese
- icing sugar to dust
- limes (zest) to serve
- In a mixing bowl sift the dry ingredients and mix. Set aside.
- In an electric mixer, combine the butter and sugar and whisk until pale.
- Add the eggs one at a time to incorporate.
- Add the vanilla essence and lime - whisk until just incorporated.
- Now combine the dry and wet ingredients by adding a little of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and alternating between adding the milk as well.
- Mix until incorporated and set aside. Fill the prepared muffin tins 3/4 full with batter and bake for 15 - 20 min at 180 degree Celsius.
- Leave to cool, then combine the mascarpone cheese with lime juice and mix well.
- Assemble the whoopie pies by cutting each cupcake in half, and filling it with mascarpone, topping it with the top part.
- Dust with icing sugar and more lime zest. Ready to serve.