Heads up guys, but this Vegan Cottage Pie recipe is the best!
I wanted to make a comforting vegan cottage pie for ages and this one curbed that craving. Delicious, warming and nutritious cottage pie is the perfect dish to feed the whole veggie loving family.
Nourishing and Comforting Vegan Cottage Pie
Cottage Pie just screams comfort and warmth. Especially during the colder winter months when we want to snuggle up with a blanket and eat our emotions.
This Vegan Cottage Pie consists of healthy, clean and wholesome ingredients. Most importantly it will save you chunks of time in the kitchen as it is the perfect meal prep dish, that freezes like a dream.
How to make Vegan Cottage Pie
Firstly you will need to make two components to this Vegan Cottage Pie. You will need to make the vegetable base of the dish and the mash topping. Therefore, the base of the cottage pie will consist of flavoursome cooked veggies that includes carrots, onions, leeks, lentils, corn, peas, spinach and loads of spice. Next, the veggies gets topped with a fluffy and herby mashed sweet potato topping finished off in the oven until bubbly.
All the goodness!
More Comforting Bakes:
Vegan Cauliflower and Broccoli Cheese Bake
Potato and Cauliflower Curry Tray Bake
|Prep Time||20 min|
|Cook Time||1 hour|
- 30 ml olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 4 stalks leeks finely chopped
- 3 cm fresh ginger grated
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 fresh green chili deseeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt and black pepper to season
- 4 large carrots peeled and finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery finely chopped
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 1 cup corn kernels i used frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 4 large sweet potatoes peeled and cut
- water for boiling
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 2 sprigs thyme
- First off, heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and saute the onion, garlic, ginger, chilli and leeks until translucent.
- Next add the spices and allow to fry for a minute or two.
- Then you add your veggies - the carrots, celery, lentils, corn and peas. Allow to cook for a few more minutes getting them infused with the spices.
- Add the liquid stock and leave to cook until the veggies are soft and the liquid reduced. Add the spinach and give it a good mix through.
- In the meantime, cook your sweet potato with a sprig of rosemary until soft. Drain, remove the rosemary and mash. Chop some thyme leaves and add it into the mash. Season.
- Scoop the cooked vegetables into an oven safe dish, and top with mashed sweet potato and bake in a hot oven (180 degrees C) for 20 minutes until bubbly and roasted.
- Serve with a side of fresh green salad.